Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Do Protestants Need a Pope?


It has been one week since the solar flare of activity ignited in the blogosphere as a result of The Beckwith Incident . I have noted that this has caused many bloggers to comment that Evangelicals need to better define what they are. Perhaps they have been more defined in the past by what they are not. One of the advantages that I have noted in my three years as a new Catholic is the unity and identity brought about by the papacy. The papacy defines and ensures the compact unity of the Church as Karl Adams explains in the Spirit of Catholicism:

"But when he speaks as pope, as successor of St. Peter, then he speaks with a divine authority that demands the obedience of all the faithful; he speaks as the visible basis and pledge of unity, out of the compact fullness of the Body of Christ, as that principle in which the supra-personal unity of the Body of Christ has achieved visible reality for the world of space and time."

An article written by evangelical theology professor , D. S. Long, two years ago ponders the notion of whether Protestants need a pope. Given the recent conversion and the controversy it has engendered, this article is more apropo today than it was two years ago. Check it out here.



1 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

I heard a talk recently where the guy was talking about the fact that protestants harp on Catholics for having a Pope, but if you ask a protestant something he can't answer, he will surely say, "Let me ask my pastor/reverend/bishop/what-have-you."
Catholics have one Pope, this guy said, and protestants have a million.

May 13, 2007 10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis