Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Another Reason to Not Use Artificial Contraception: "Rainbow Trout"

In a society that has now convinced all Christians that artificial birth control is not sinful, Catholics continue to be viewed as archaic, misogynist and medieval for continuing to hold to the belief that artificial contraception is gravely immoral. (Despite, the fact that every non-Catholic denomination up until 1930 shared their belief)
When one starts to understand the unitive and creative nature of the marriage act as explained by JP2 in his Theology of the Body, the barriers to understanding artificial contraception start to fall. Recently, some Protestant theologians have begun to look at Humane Vitae and Evangelium Vitae and have started to question whether the contraceptive mentality is really such a good idea. (Al Mohler of Southern Baptist Seminary for one)
Well, if the theology doesn't grab you, maybe the environmental impact will. Scientists have known for years that estrogen in the sewer water from contracepting women has profound effects on the sexual development and fertility of water-dwelling creatures. Maybe, if the fertility of fish continues to drop and we start seeing more and more hermaphroditic fish, (brings new meaning to the name "rainbow trout") people will scratch their heads and wonder if there isn't something to this contraception business. Don't expect it to make headlines in the MSM. (Just like the way the epidemic of breast cancer in women since the use of oral contraceptives doesn't get noticed or reported)

Read This
H/t to GFF

4 Comments:

Blogger MMajor Fan said...

An important story, and not one that is surprising to me. When I was in college in the early 1970's I majored in environmental conservation. I soon became interesting in agronomy (study of soil) and also water engineering, as in irrigation and sewage treatment plants. Already then, really thoughtful people were worried about not only primary and secondary treatment of waste water (getting the "stuff" out of it) but also tertiary (getting chemicals and organics out of it) and processes even beyond that as more sophisticated contamination occurs. So those of us who weren't smoking dope in the 1970's already knew about this upcoming problem. Those who were smoking dope told me I was interesting in sewage treatment because of the placement of Uranus in my astrology chart.

July 14, 2007 9:23 PM  
Blogger Brother James said...

Well, mmajor fan, you could have gotten them interested if you sold them on the idea of extracting the stray THC from bongwater.

July 15, 2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Just blogged on this myself.
While the research is all USA I am assuming this would be much the same in the UK.
Where's Al Gore when you need him?

July 16, 2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

YOU beat me to it!

I was preparing a bloc entry for Per Christum on this one! http://blog.ancient-future.net/

Actually I had just read about this in The Byzantine Forum and recalled an article I had read about this happening in Sydney some 20 years ago...

Its funny what we collectively have our finger on the pulse of in the blogging community.

July 17, 2007 11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis