Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Theo Speaks On the Veneration of Saints and Mary


I found a U-tube video on a blogger's site who was attempting to show that Catholics exalt Mary inappropriately. I then used the same video on my blog to draw an opposite conclusion: "If this is how Catholics honor Jesus' Mum, think of how they must worship Him!" Theo commented on it but I didn't see his comment until today and wanted to post it. Regarding the veneration of Mary, Theo said:

Seeing that I'm a life-long Catholic who worships with Christians of other communions, I can't help but wonder: Am I also an apostate or simply confused?

Seriously though, in the end (and I do mean "the end") don't you think all of this controversy will simply fade when seen in the light of the glory of God's beatific vision?

Once we stand before the great throne of the Almighty Father, with every heart joining the unending hymn of praise (Holy, Holy Holy, Lord God of Hosts, Heaven and earth are filled with Your Glory!), won't the very core of heaven and earth see that even the most "over the top" veneration of any saint to the greater glory of God's good work in us nevertheless pales in comparison to the worship of our Lord?

Notice that amid this great Gloria of the liturgy is a benediction upon all who act according to God's will:

Hosanna to God in the highest! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna to God in the highest!

In this model, when we venerate those who do God's will it is always in the midst of the infinitely greater veneration of God Himself.

No one can say it quite the way Theo does. Thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholics said...

"No one can say it quite the way Theo does. Thanks."

Amen.

Great and most excellent of posts.
How can one not love the Mother of God and not long to know her? It's like they have blinders on, and as I once did, just "can't see" but oh, the powerful grace that opened my eyes on Dec 8, 2004, our first Mass together that wasn't a wedding or a funeral in some 26 years! Feast of the Immacualte Conception...and I wonder, do you think Mother Mary had anything to do with drawing my heart and head back HOME TO ROME?

September 02, 2007 4:42 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I'd say big time!

September 02, 2007 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis