Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

"Nicean Blues"

10/31/07 NEWS FLASH! "Nicean Blues" was chosen as
Catholic Video of the Month!

Thank you Jesus and all you blues fans and fans of the one, holy, Catholic and apostolic Church.

This song is for the folks who believe that the gates of hell have never prevailed against the Church that Jesus started.
A studio version will be on the new album.


We believe in one God, the Father All-sovereign, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible;

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, and the only-begotten Son of God, Begotten of the Father before all the ages, Light of Light, true God of true God, begotten not made, of one substance with the Father, through whom all things were made; who for us men and for our salvation came down from the heavens, and was made flesh of the Holy Spirit and the Virgin Mary, and became man, and was crucified for us under Pontius Pilate, and suffered and was buried, and rose again on the third day according to the Scriptures, and ascended into the heavens, and sits on the right hand of the Father, and comes again with glory to judge living and dead, of whose kingdom there shall be no end:

And in the Holy Spirit, the Lord and the Life-giver, that proceeds from the Father, who with the Father and Son is worshipped together and glorified together, who spoke through the prophets:

In one holy catholic and apostolic church

We acknowledge one baptism unto remission of sins. We look for a resurrection of the dead, and the life of the age to come.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice. Good to see you're still around.

October 21, 2007 3:20 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

Just making sure I'm in line now for my copy of that upcoming CD, man.

O | onionboy.ca (art & faith) | luminousmiseries.ca {faith & art}

October 21, 2007 8:14 PM  
Blogger Brother James said...

That's great, TJ, a classic in the making.

October 22, 2007 2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Under the same management since 33 AD!" The antithetical notion is comical. It calls to mind images of discount store banners that shout out "Under New Management " in 4-foot high letters. When I see banners like that, my first reaction is, "I wonder how badly the place stunk under the old management that they feel compelled to advertise a change in their basic operation." Would you have much interest in patronizing a business whose idea of good news is "No really, we don't stink anymore."

In a way, a Protestant take on history could fit that model: that the Church degraded and fell into such apostasy that the only recourse was to dump the management and get going under a better administration. Your line about the Gates of Hell not prevailing against the Church seems to be the crux of the matter. How we understand that promise has a great effect on how we choose to look at the Church.

I've been away from blog-world for a little bit. I'm glad to have returned to find you posting again. A quick look around at some of the sites I like to visit showed me that in general, those whose sites I find most uplifting and positive have had few posts in the past month or so. Most of those that I find myself checking in upon for the same reason I can't help but mess with a sore tooth have been too busy for me to review in any depth.

It would be great to have more positive blogs active in an atmosphere that seems to be less and less Christ-like in its expression as each day passes. [That's also a hint to PA, if you're reading: We could use more of YOU on line too.] Will we be seeing more from you, T.J.?

Humbly, I remain your brother in Christ,
--Theo

PS:
I STILL want to hear the Monk Song!
"I'd like to shine where the devil lurks,
and chase him off with pius works,
have bread and wine with every meal.
With faith and hope and charity, (in a )
coenobitic community,
where funky robes have mass appeal.
I'd like to be a monk someday,
Boy I hear they got it made,
livin' in a monastary on a hill."

October 22, 2007 3:22 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

Brings a grin across my face. Great one TJ! Off to Clinton Iowa to see my friend and email pal, Dr. Ray. I'm taking the other 5 songs of yours to him. He'll like our ROME SWEET HOME one no doubt. Wish I'd have found this sooner to add to the mix. I will definitely have to get this cd when it's out and about.

PAX, bro,
susie

October 24, 2007 8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so you're not back? My bad, as they say.

October 26, 2007 10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really great! I may have to post your video over on my blog.

October 26, 2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks for the kind comments.
This video has touched a "funny bone" among the Catholic blogs and mark shea has said "Any song with the rhyme "We Don't Fancy/Necromancy" has my vote!

October 27, 2007 12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so talented. What a blessing for all of us in the blogworld that you joined the Church, we need more men like you! Your music sounds great also!
Potamiaena

October 28, 2007 2:52 PM  
Blogger EC Gefroh said...

Mahalo for sharing the link for your songs. I loved this song!

October 28, 2007 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved it, TJ. Glad your break is providing some good fruit.

October 28, 2007 6:25 PM  
Blogger Cradle Catholic said...

TJ I just love your great lyrics and music! God Bless! I think I speak for everyone in the Catholic Blogosphere when I say "More PLEASE!"

October 31, 2007 8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on "Catholic video of the Month," Tiber. Being a strings fellow I suppose it's not easy for you to toot your own horn, but may I humbly suggest that you make a small blog entry to supplement your update. I tend to revisit your posts, but many might otherwise miss it.

With appreciation, I remain by grace your brother in Christ,
--Theo

November 03, 2007 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tiber,
Someone left the following comment on another blog regarding your video. I thought you and your readers might not see it, so I've copied it here.

It is a pleasure to see someone have so much fun while addressing some common misunderstandings at the same time. On the other hand, it is a shame that this sort of song strikes a resonant chord with so many of us, as it speaks to the sad discord of a subset of Christianity today: that some of our brothers and sisters in Christ would be among those who propagate misinformation about the same Bride of Christ that He is perfecting and whose life they themselves, whether they are aware of it or not, are also partakers.

What
[Tiber Jumper] approaches with good humor here he also addresses with prayerful reverence in his "Room of Tears" video: that we are individually and corporately blessed by the very creator of the universe not only vertically by His direct relationship with redeemed man ("I no longer call you servants, but my friends"), but horizontally through one another--and this is the Church (the body of those called out by God) that He founded here on Earth ("...upon this Rock I will build my Church and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.").

Posted by t. epstein...


Warmest regards,
--Theo

November 03, 2007 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis