Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The Judas Argument


When I thought of Catholicism even up to just 5 years ago, my first thoughts went to images of the pompous looking tiaras and hats the popes and cardinals wore. The paradox of "Vatican riches" despite the example of poor fishermen who followed Christ was ingrained in me from the tracts and propaganda I read as a young Bible Christian. Yeah, I believed this stuff:

"The Vatican's treasure of solid gold has been estimated by the United Nations World Magazine to amount to several billion dollars. A large bulk of this is stored in gold ingots with the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank, while banks in England and Switzerland hold the rest. But this is just a small portion of the wealth of the Vatican, which in the U.S. alone, is greater than that of the five wealthiest giant corporations of the country. When to that is added all the real estate, property, stocks and shares abroad, then the staggering accumulation of the wealth of the Catholic church becomes so formidable as to defy any rational assessment."(From Jack Chick's Website)

"Why doesn't the Church sell all the riches and treasures it owns in the museums and repositories and give it to the poor" was the argument often heard. Remember when the women broke the alabaster jar of expensive perfume to anoint Jesus and Judas complained that the money should be given to the poor? He was missing the point! Dwight Longenecker, former Anglican priest and Bob Jones University graduate, now a Catholic priest gives a nice summary of this issue on his blog Standing On My Head.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

As John Travolta said in Welcome Back Kotter..."that's so weird."
We're on that same page again. I just posted on the extravagance and "elaborate" church interiors...and WSNS commented and I posted her comment which was profound. My Truncated paraphrase: Baby Jesus didn't need GOLD, FRANKINCENSE, and MYRRH...but he didn't rise up out of his crib and say, "HEY give that to the poor!" FOR the baby Jesus...was poor! Now as then we HONOR HIM by giving Him our best. I heard that blather from so many, too. Some folks just aren't happy unless they're pissed and can cause a stink. Well, I love the beauty and the wealth in the Catholic Church, it's shared more of it than anyother institution on the planet so let 'em whine and grumble like Judas. It worked out so well for him, didn't it?

January 02, 2008 10:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loving the graphic- I have it on the hard drive for use in a post at a later date. I believe it came from a late 1800s publication attempting to show the depravity of Rome. When I see it, I just think "Yea, bring back the Seda! woo-hoo!" I'm a confirmed papist like that - Sue me!

Would that it were the case that the Vatican Bank has acres of gold... Talk of bankruptcy some years ago might have been averted.

Granted, the Vatican has been enjoying the "Ratzinger Effect" with an upswing of pilgrims and donations... I wrote about it the other day: Mo' Money, Mo' Pilgrims

One always wonders... How much does Jack Chick give to the poor?

January 04, 2008 3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis