Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Methodist Pastor Allen Hunt Begins the Swim

Joseph over at GoodJesuitBadJesuit sent me a note that Dr. Allen Hunt, the former pastor of the third largest Methodist Church in the USA, has announced his upcoming Tiber River crossing. He left the pulpit in March of 2007 to host his successful radio talk show here full time. He had obtained his PhD in New Testament at Yale University.

As exciting and validating as it is for us to see so many pastors Crossing the Tiber, we need to keep in mind the tremendous loss this engenders for these brothers in Christ. Please keep them in prayer as they put themselves and their families in financial jeopardy by their decision to leave and lose everything they have built to follow Jesus into the Catholic Church. At this rate, the Journey Home program may need to expand to two nights per week to accommodate all of these new river crossings.

"After much prayer and meditation over the past six months, I have shared with Bishop Lindsey Davis that I am relinquishing my status as an ordained United Methodist pastor in the North Georgia Conference. This deeply personal decision reflects my sense that God has called me to serve in a new mission role. Moreover, I believe that God has led me to a new spiritual home in the Catholic Church, so I have made provision to be received as a member into that Church."

(thanks Joe for the tip.)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh come on. He's a Methodist, for pity's sake. Once you folks get your hooks into him, you know he's not going to be allowed to read scripture anymore--then it's too late. If only he had simply read the Bible and understood its clear message while he had the chance! He could have saved himself alot of trouble.

January 17, 2008 1:50 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I hope this post isn't serious.

January 17, 2008 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!

Yes it is a joke! Please don't tell me you actually know anybody who would say that seriously.

January 17, 2008 5:34 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

"Please don't tell me you actually know anybody who would say that seriously."

Yes, actually I do. When Dr. Beckwith converted/reverted last May, there were many comments which expressed what you said! You had me going there for a bit. :)

January 17, 2008 6:11 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

me too :o

January 17, 2008 9:20 PM  
Blogger MMajor Fan said...

Hi tiber. Thank you for this post, it is good news to read.

January 18, 2008 1:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just say no to popery...

Oh wait I am Catholic.

Welcome Home. :)

January 18, 2008 2:38 AM  
Blogger Kapten Clark said...

I'm in the same camp (member of the CHN) -- please pray for me!

January 18, 2008 4:02 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey Kapten:
I went to your blog. I always wondered who was looking at my site from Estonia!
I will ask our readers to pray for you and the others on the journey.
God bless you and feel free to ask for help on the CHN forum or here as well.

January 18, 2008 8:06 AM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

I went to your blog also, Kapten Clark. Will be praying for you. I plunged in the Tiber 3 years ago and have never looked back. God Bless you and your family

January 18, 2008 8:43 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey Kapten, now you've done it! With Susie and her gang, it's just about a done deal :)
God bless

January 18, 2008 8:54 AM  
Blogger Timothy said...

I listened to both of Allen Hunts podcasts on the Catholic Church. Wow! I hope Catholic Answers or EWTN give him a job.

January 18, 2008 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis