Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mary in the Early Church

Sub tuum praesidium confugimus,
Sancta Dei Genetrix.
Nostras deprecationes ne despicias
in necessitatibus nostris,
sed a periculis cunctis
libera nos semper,
Virgo gloriosa et benedicta.
Amen.
We fly to thy patronage,
O holy Mother of God;
despise not our petitions
in our necessities,
but deliver us always
from all dangers,
O glorious and blessed Virgin.
Amen.
A recent comment from George got me started looking for Mary in the early Church. She's not so hard to find!
This Coptic Christian hymn dates to 250 AD. It was originally written in Greek, then translated to Latin for the western Church. Again, I ask, could these Christians with the teachings of the apostles "still ringing in their ears" have gotten so far off the rails so early on? I guess it's possible, since heresy was always popping up like weeds in the early Church. But we don't find any writings, historical or liturgical, that condemn this type of devotion (not worship) of Mary. If the early Church did indeed think the veneration of Mary was heretical, why didn't we see Augustine, Jerome and some of the great fathers of the early Church writing against it? They certainly wrote against many other heresies: Arianism, Donatism, Maniachism, Monophysitism Pelagianism, Montanism, Marcionism, Ism-Ism etc.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jacob said...

Hail Mary!

November 13, 2008 10:43 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

yes, Jacob, if the angel Gabriel could honor Mary, it wouldn't be a bad idea for us to do the same. Thanks!

November 14, 2008 8:11 AM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Russ! I feel honored to be mentioned :) I certainly hope you know my intent was not one of ill will! I appreciate you very much my friend, and these are some good posts! Thank you :)

-g-

November 16, 2008 9:13 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I dont feel you are being perjorative at all George. Please don't worry. It gets me digging deeper!
Wait till you see my next post on the ECF and errors regarding the treatment of Mary by the early Christians. Some too much emphasis, others, not enough! The Church continues to pull us back into balance when we get off track.

November 16, 2008 10:14 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Thank you Russ... I look forward to your following posts!

-g-

November 16, 2008 10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis