Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Francis Beckwith's New Book


One of my gifts for Christmas from Prodigal Daughter was
Return to Rome: Confessions of an
Evangelical Catholic by Francis Beckwith, PhD.

Dr. Beckwith was the president of the Evangelical Theological Society and is currently a tenured professor of philosophy at Baylor University. He tells the story of his reversion back to the Church with many details of his early life as a Catholic kid in the 70's. (I certainly could relate having played guitar for a many folk masses with those liturgically loose wishy washy new hymns)
He later discusses the concept of justification and how he could no longer hold to the reformers' view after seeing no evidence of it in the writings of Christianity before the reformation. He came to the point where he could no longer justify accepting the creeds, the canon of scripture, the Christology of the Church and yet at the same time reject the sacraments, apostolic succession and authority that came along with those key elements. "I was boxed into a corner, with the only exit being the door of a confessional."

Regardless of whether he is further understood or further vilified as a result of writing this book, one cannot argue with this statement Dr. Beckwith makes at the end:
"Since becoming Catholic, I have become much more prayerful, I read the Bible far more often, and I am increasingly more aware and appreciative of the grace God has given me to lead a virtuous life." That's a statement most of us revert/converts can heartily say Amen to.
You can buy a copy here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sigh ... yet another book I want for my library. If we could get all the books we want, it'd get pretty pricey in a hurry, wouldn't it.

I got some gift money this year and in part bought a book I'd been wanting for some time, Fr. Thomas Dubay's most excellent book on prayer, Fire Within. I also found a copy of the Baronius Press 1962 Missal in one of our local Catholic bookstores, and that is now in my library (maybe one day there will be an EF Mass in town for which I can use it).

And as an aside, being a Journey Home fan, I'm pleased to see that EWTN has now converted its entire audio library from Real Audio to MP3 so now I can get the old episodes to listen on my IPod.

December 28, 2008 8:05 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey Nancy!
I hope you had a blessed Advent and MErry Christmas.
Yes, this book was a quick read and very enjoyable to "get inside" the mind and heart of a convert who can articulate the faith so well. His thoughts on justification from a Catholic perspective are worth the price of the book alone. He also has quite a sense of humor as well and that comes out in the book.
2 years before I reverted to the Church, my wife and I began to simplify our lives, sold the big house, geared down our jobs etc, and one of the inspirations was a book I read by Fr. Dubay called "Happy Are You Poor." Despite the fact he was ca.... Cat.... Catholic, I benefited from his writings. Already God was using things like that to open my heart to Catholicism.

Let me know how "Fire Within" is, I may want to get it.
Thanks for the tip on Journey home going to mp3. I too will start downloading to my mp3 player.
God bless!

December 28, 2008 9:53 AM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Thanks for posting. I have followed Dr. Beckwith's story with great interest. Merry Christmas!

December 28, 2008 12:38 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Merry Christmas to you also Gretchen!

December 28, 2008 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis