Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Some Thoughts on The Sacrifice of the Mass


I was reading the last chapter of Jeff Pinyan's new book, Praying the Mass, where he quoted from Mediator Dei, Pope Pius 12th's encyclical on the liturgy. The pope was encouraging the faithful to present themselves to God along with the Eucharistic sacrifice. While the priest, by virtue of his holy orders, has the singular privilege of offering the un-bloody sacrifice to God, we too offer ourselves to God in union with Jesus sacrifice in the Eucharist. "Nor should Christians forget to offer themselves, their cares, their sorrows, their distress and their necessities in union with their divine Savior upon the Cross." These are the spiritual sacrifices we can offer up that are acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.(1 Pet. 2:5)
Thinking of the Mass this way really invites and necessitates our participation. It moves us from observer to active participant, which is what is intended by the liturgy. Perhaps those who say they don't get anything out of going to Mass are not allowing themselves to participate in the sacrifice that is being offered. You have to give to get.

Is the Sacrifice of the Mass a medieval invention of the Catholic Church? Reading the writings of the Early Church would prove it is not:

"Assemble on the Lord’s day, and break bread and offer the Eucharist; but first make confession of your faults, so that your sacrifice may be a pure one. Anyone who has a difference with his fellow is not to take part with you until he has been reconciled, so as to avoid any profanation of your sacrifice [Matt. 5:23–24]. For this is the offering of which the Lord has said, ‘Everywhere and always bring me a sacrifice that is undefiled, for I am a great king, says the Lord, and my name is the wonder of nations’ [Mal. 1:11, 14]" (Didache A.D. 70).

4 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

"Nor should Christians forget to offer themselves, their cares, their sorrows, their distress and their necessities in union with their divine Savior upon the Cross."

I was just thinking about how distracted I was at Mass this morning and now your post reminds me once again that even my distractions can and should be offered in union with Christ's suffering.

October 15, 2009 8:07 AM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

A novice was grieving about her numerous distractions during prayer: "I too, have many," replied St. Therese of the Child Jesus, "but I accept all for love of the good God, even the most extravagent thoughts that come into my head."

Amen, Deborah. Even our distractions, when offered to God, become a conduit for Amazing Grace.


I was all kinds of distracted this morning during the rosary before Mass, and during Mass. BUT, the "GOOD GOD" was there, and He was GLAD I WAS TOO! Blessed Mother Mary was glad that I kept telling here how distracted I was, and asked her to "bring me back" to the prayers...and then I'd wander off again, thinking about books/bagels and such. IT was all good, because I did say I was sorry and longed to be "present" but that the mind just "goes" now and then. The good part, is that I was aware and WANTED to not wind up completely off kilter. Being distracted can even be good, for it "keep us humble" and asking for help/grace.

October 17, 2009 2:07 PM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

A caption for your picture:

“Almighty God, we pray that your angel may take this sacrifice to your altar in Heaven.”

Eucharistic Prayer I

October 17, 2009 7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps those who say they don't get anything out of going to Mass are not allowing themselves to participate in the sacrifice that is being offered

You mean like those who complain that they get Nothing out of the Norvus Ordo Mass? or those who complian perpetually about it?

October 18, 2009 3:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis