Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Venerable John Paul 2- Yes!


Today the Vatican announced that John Paul 2 has been declared "venerable." What that means is that after extensive study since his death, the leadership of the Church has declared that Pope John Paul 2 has lived a life of heroic virtue, which is the first step to being declared a saint.
How can mere men make these outrageous claims?
Is it arrogant for mere humans to declare someone a saint*?

The answer to these questions is found in Holy Scripture (Matt 16:19; 18:18). Jesus told his apostles, his successors, that what they bind on earth will be bound in heaven. The process of beatification and canonization is just one practical example of this promise being carried out here and now, 2000 years later by the successors of Peter.

*(meaning the Church makes a binding statement that an individual is in heaven and a model of heroic virtue for the faithful to emulate and request intercession)

3 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

YES YES YES! He prayed my husband and I back HOME! I believe it!

December 20, 2009 7:15 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I suspect there were many returns to the Church after his entry into eternal life. I am glad you guys were the fruit of his prayers!

December 20, 2009 10:22 AM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

It's kind of odd, but we left the Church w/in a few months of his becoming Pope, and return just a few months before he passed on to his eternal reward. We weren't practicing Catholics for most of his papacy, but how powerful his prayers!! How exceedingly grateful we are for them!

December 22, 2009 7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis