Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, April 23, 2012

"She's Drawing Me"

6 years ago I was still going to Haiti with my evangelical Protestant church even though I had been Catholic for a couple of years. I had a few interesting conversations with my mission team mates regarding my return to the Catholic faith. For many of them, they had never heard of such a thing ever happening. On our day-off we went to the beach in Jacmel and one of the members of my former church came up to me and said;  "Russ, she's drawing me." I asked him what he meant, and he said that he was being drawn to the Catholic faith. I really was surprised to hear that and we chatted a little about issues of conversion and he again surprised me by saying, "I don't believe in sola scriptura because it doesn't make sense!" I was further taken aback by that and wondered "why isn't this guy Catholic?" On the flight home I gave him  Dr. Thomas Howard's book, Lead Kindly  Light. He was the former editor of Christianity Today and Elizabeth Elliot's brother and converted to Catholicism a long time ago.
   Once we arrived back in the states, my friend handed me the book and said, "I finished it on the plane."
We said our goodbyes and I have prayed for him from time to time. We haven't kept in touch and he moved away but I notice his facebook page a few weeks ago. It said " ____changed his religion to Catholic." I look forward to hearing his story and if he allows I may share it here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bekah said...

That's very cool to be able to have a hand in someone's conversion like that. I love Thomas Howard.

April 23, 2012 7:58 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I am not sure I had a hand as much as happened to be witnessing what was already happening! I do pray daily for all those in my old church that they can see the truth and beauty of Catholicism. The majority of them are very sincere Christians who seemed to be willing to "surrender all" for Jesus. But I pray they can surrender their "right" to assume they know what the Church should truly look like and be willing to consider that perhaps they could be wrong about their negative views of Catholicism.

April 23, 2012 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay. God bless this guy who had the courage to do this and thank Jesus for bringing him over to you for guidance. Our Evangelical brothers and we have so much in common and I hope that they can break through all the misconceptions and misinformation out there about us. Julie

April 25, 2012 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis