Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Feast of Saint Monica

Today the universal Church celebrates the feast of Saint Monica. She was the mother of Saint Augustine who prayed for him steadfastly for years and years. In his thirties, he responded to God's grace and you  know the rest of the story. God used Saint Augustine mightily to advance the gospel and the Church and his writings  today are studied and preached on.  His autobiography, Confessions, still changes lives.
   Upon Saint Monica's deathbed, she asked Saint Augustine to pray for her when he said mass.

 “Bury my body wherever you will; let not care of it cause you any concern. One thing only I ask you, that you remember me at the altar of the Lord wherever you may be.”

Saint Monica, pray for all loved ones who have strayed from the path of Truth

PS:  "When in Rome , do as the Romans do." This quote came as a result of Saint Monica's interaction with Saint Ambrose :

"When Monica moved from North Africa to Milan, she found religious practices new to her and also that some of her former customs, such as a Saturday fast, were not common there. She asked St. Ambrose which customs she should follow. His classic reply was: “When I am here, I do not fast on Saturday, but I fast when I am in Rome; do the same and always follow the custom and discipline of the Church as it is observed in the particular locality in which you find yourself.”  (cf American Catholic)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis