Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Former Thomas Road Evangelical Now Catholic!

Here is Renee's story published at the Why I'm Catholic Site. She has a very compelling and well- thought out journey to the Church. Please take the time to read this great conversion story. Karl Keating's book Catholicism and Fundamentalism was instrumental in helping dispel the mythology and reveal what it is that Catholic's actually believe. I too read this book shortly after my decision to revert and his section on the Eucharist was powerful and difficult to refute with the usual Protestant objections. I now buy used copies of this book from Amazon and give them out when someone expresses interest.


"One Sunday morning when Dr. Falwell proclaimed that “everything we believe and do here at Thomas Road comes straight from Scripture,” I took that seriously, too. Everything we believe and do…. Everything?
My mind began to wander as some obvious exceptions came to mind. Asking people to receive Jesus Christ into their heart as their personal Lord and Savior? I knew that Peter and Paul certainly had never read someone the “Four Spiritual Laws” and invited them to ask Jesus into their heart as their personal Lord and Savior. “Repent and be baptized” was actually the approach taken by the apostles."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Renee Lin said...

Thank you, Russ! You're the one who got this ball rolling - I wouldn't have written down my conversion story without your encouragement.

We all owe a debt of gratitude to Karl Keating, Steve Ray, Scott & Kimberly Hahn, David Currie, Mark Shea, Patrick Madrid, Marcus Grodi... the list goes on and on! So many of us were helped on our journey by these people! They can all hope one day to hear those priceless words: Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was wandering in the darkness, and you pointed me towards the Light....

August 17, 2012 5:51 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

No, thank you for your story Renee!
It needed to get out there.
God bless you and thanks for sharing it. Many will read it and consider the same things you did which eventually leads to conversion.

August 17, 2012 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Justin Boulmay said...

That looks like a great book, Russ! I've been looking into the claims of the Catholic Church and EO, so I may have to add this to my list of things to read!

August 17, 2012 7:09 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey Justin, thanks for coming by.
You will find Karl Keating's writing very clear regarding the claims of Catholicism and at times you will be saying "ouch!" But it's worth the read if you are exploring the Catholic faith.
BTW, I would love if you checked out my CD Way to Emmaus, mostly original songs describing my journey back to Catholicism using American roots instruments, dulcimer, guitar, mandolin, autoharp fiddle etc.

August 17, 2012 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis