Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Why Dump Starbucks? 3 Good Reasons



#1)  The organization is committed to funding legislation to legalize same-sex marriage. A very bad idea. I am not a homophobe, I just agree with the timeless definition of marriage dictated by natural law and my religion (Catholic Christianity) You can go here to register your displeasure at Starbucks for making a immoral stand one of the platforms of their business plan.

#2)   They support Planned Parenthood which is one of the largest abortion providers in the world.

#3)   Final Reason, their coffee tastes like crap.  There, I said it.  Starbucks coffee has never ever appealed to me. It is, quite frankly, burnt tasting, but I think I have been afraid to say anything because it was, after all, "Starbucks." Perhaps their sugary, fat-laden mocha fraps and machiattos are tasty to some, but I never tried them because I was too embarrassed to say the silly names when ordering. I also found it very hard to spend 6 dollars or more for a single beverage.
  Years later I got into roasting my own green beans and drinking fresh coffee and it turns out the trick to Starbucks is that they simply burn their coffee! Yep, even crappy quality cheap green beans will taste expensive if you just burn them so that the innate unpleasant tastes are masked by the over cooked carmelized sugars in the super-dark roasted beans.
    Am I the only person in the world who thinks Starbucks coffee is crappy tasting? I don't think so. Maybe people frequent Starbucks because it's hip and trendy and they like the bohemian vibe. Like the crowds in the story of the Emperor's New Clothes who stare at the ugly, fat, naked emperor in all his anatomical glory and say "fine suit he's wearing today," the Starbux crowd swish the expensive burnt watery coffee, heavily diluted with sugar, cream and cocoa powder around on their undiscriminating palates and say to each other: "hmmm, this is great" while the bubble over their head is screaming;  "why in the world did I just spend a small fortune on this burnt swill?"
  Yeah, just wake up, smell the coffee at Starbucks then dump it in the gutter and head on over to get a good Cup o' Joe at Dunkin's for half the price and half the time, minus the boho vibe and embarrassing names. Take the money you save and donate it to a good cause, or buy a homeless person a chicken sandwich.

BTW, if it wasn't for a pope, we wouldn't even have coffee!

6 Comments:

Blogger kkollwitz said...

Conservatives naturally shy away from boycotts.

August 07, 2012 9:59 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

and bad tasting coffee too! LOL!

August 07, 2012 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Stefanie said...

Spot on!
I was a Starbucks addict for years...spent about $75 a month on coffee beans and 'plain' cups of coffee -- occasionally would order a Thai tea which was mostly ice cubes :)
Broke the habit in 2011. For Lent, I decided to stop going to SB and instead, set aside the $ I spent to be given to a homeless man who hung out at the back door of the SB I frequented after I'd drop off my youngest child at college every weekday morning. This guy was always grateful for whatever I would give him and had a very dignified way about himself. I usually gave him the change from the $2 given to the SB cashier for my usual 'regular personal drip venti' -- and this guy would give me the greatest smile and a 'bless you.'
Anyway, halfway through Lent, I tracked him down and handed over the money I'd saved. I tried to explain to him why he wasn't seeing me at SB anymore and what I was doing. Not sure he understood it.
After Easter, I carried around the 'saved money' with me for a month before our paths crossed. I did tell him -- as I put a wad of money in his hand -- that he wouldn't be seeing me again and to use the money well.
Since then, I've been to SB twice (on the gift cards everyone is always giving me) -- and I was amazed to realize what you said, Russ -- the coffee IS bitter!!!!
So now I buy no-name coffee for $4 a pound.
Though I do miss the hours I would spent studying scripture at SB and the conversations around me while buying a venti an hour so I could keep my table :)

August 08, 2012 12:11 PM  
Anonymous Potamiaena said...

I agree with you on all counts! Their coffee is bitter and does not taste good. AND why is a company getting in on a marriage debate? Shouldn't they just concentrate on coffee?

August 08, 2012 10:17 PM  
Blogger D'artagnan said...

I have been Starbucks free for 3 months. It also helps that I find out that Panera Bread has "pay as you can" shops for folks less fortunate.

August 13, 2012 6:25 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

The owner of Panera is a good Jewish guy who says his religion tells him to give food to the poor. Sounds
Like a good plan to me, not giving money to PP to kill the children of the poor like Starbucks.

August 13, 2012 6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis