Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, April 29, 2013

Crossed the Tiber is 7 Years Old!


This weekend marked the 7th year since this blog was started. I never intended to blog about the faith and never had a blog before.  As a matter of fact, I did very little writing other than lyrics for songs or occasional lectures for medical residents. After being back in the Catholic Church for 2 years, I realized there was a tremendous amount of misinformation out there about the faith. The blog was originally started as a way to dispel some of the myths that denigrates the faith and highlight the beauty of Catholicism. I have written, as of today,  2208 posts seen on over a quarter of a million visits. I had no idea I'd still be doing this. See the very first post here. Kinda, dusty but still rings true.
     I, like many people at one time, thought you couldn't be a Catholic and Christian. What I have discovered, by the grace of God, is that the Church  is the normative way in which God intended for us to experience his grace and blessings won for us on the cross. To live the Catholic life fully is to experience more of God than I had ever encountered before. This grace is most profoundly available by rightly participating in the sacraments, especially the Eucharist, the source and summit of our faith. Being a Christian is all about becoming closer to Jesus , becoming one with him, conforming ourselves to him and ultimately seeing our savior face to face. Our goal in this life is to get to heaven to spend eternity with God. The Church, as I have personally experienced, is the best vehicle to attain that goal. I hope that this blog has helped others, particularly non-Catholic Christians, to become aware of this often missed opportunity. If a friend won the million dollar lottery but didn't tell you about it or share anything with you, you would be understandably upset. That's how I felt when I discovered "this treasure that's always been at my feet given to me as a child."* (through baptism) I decided to not let others miss the treasure that is waiting for them and blogging has been a wonderful way to do that.

*From 'Late Have I Loved You", title track of  TheWay to Emmaus CD.
 

9 Comments:

Blogger George @ Convert Journal said...

Congrats Russ on 7 years of these good works!

April 29, 2013 12:21 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks George for visiting! Without works our faith is dead says Holy Scripture!

April 29, 2013 12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I keep looking for a like button under your posts! Good one, as always, and we are lucky to have you. Julie

April 29, 2013 1:27 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks so much Julie, I am so thankful to have discovered the Catholic faith after so many years. This week my wife and I celebrate our 9th year back!!!

April 29, 2013 1:36 PM  
Anonymous RenĂ©e said...

Thank God you chose to "give back" through blogging! So many people have heard about the pearl of great price through Crossed the Tiber!

Hope you're shooting for 7 more years!

April 29, 2013 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

And you have been a blessing for all of those 7 years. Congrats, Russ!

April 29, 2013 6:12 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Renee, as you have found, it's hard to find the pearl of great price and not share it! Thanks for all you do for Jesus and His Church!

April 29, 2013 7:31 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Nancy, thanks so much. You stay on all these years even through the dry patches! God bless and thanks for your faithful witness to the faith.
God bless you.

April 29, 2013 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo-hoo!
-PV

May 11, 2013 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis