Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, May 21, 2007

Book Meme

I was tagged by Beka from The Road Less Traveled for a book meme. Well, being the genius I am, I had to look up what a meme is. From Wikipedia, source of all truth...
"The term "meme" (IPA: /miːm/, rhyming with "theme"), coined and popularized in 1976[1] by the biologist Richard Dawkins, refers to a "unit of cultural information" which can propagate from one mind to another in a manner analogous to genes (i.e., the units of genetic information)."

Well here goes my meme:

Three non-fiction books everyone should read:

The Bible (started reading it in 1973, haven't stopped yet, Catholics are encouraged to read it daily) To be Ignorant of Scripture is Ignorance of Christ-St. Jerome

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (been reading it now for three years, wow it talks about every issue!)

Mere Christianity by CS Lewis (Read it in college, need to re-read it)


Three books of fiction everyone should read:

Chronicles of Narnia ( I read these to my children, I always cry when Aslan reaches the Stone Table)

I must confess from 1980 to 2002, was a "black hole" of literature for me. I was so immersed in studying and practicing medicine, I did virtually no pleasure reading or theological study except for the "best selling Christian bookstore" type books . Sometimes, I believe my gearing down from my practice of medicine gave me the time to finally reflect about my life and what I really believe, which lead me back to the Church.

Three authors everyone should read:

CS Lewis (If he lived just a bit longer would he have converted? The thought just nags at Catholics!)

John Paul 2 (How could one man be so smart?)

Thomas Howard (Elizabeth Elliot's Brother. A convert, poet and thinker)

Three books no one should read:

Left Behind by Tim LaHaye (no comment needed)

Intended for Pleasure by Ed Wheat (Wish I hadn't read it before my first marriage, gives the wrong impression to young Christian couples, especially by separating the unitive and procreative aspect of marriage)

Faith That Prevails by Smith Wigglesworth (heretical stuff my late wife and I read after she was diagnosed with lung cancer)

I tag Pilgrimsarbour(In college he read when he didn't have too!), Godfearin' Fiddler and my new bloggger friend MaryMajor.




3 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Boy, you nailed it! Even though I had Left Behind that particular eschatology long ago, I was curious about the publishing juggernaut. I picked up the first book and started to read. I got a couple of chapters into it and put it down forever. Vile stuff, just the most awful writing. And yes, it was college that started me on my love of books since I had to read a couple of them per week for my course requirements. I couldn't agree with you more on C.S. Lewis--just about my most favourite, regardless of some potential theological differences.

May 21, 2007 11:41 PM  
Blogger Bekah said...

"The Complete Works of Jack T. Chick" RFOL

Great choices! I love Howard, too. I sure can sympathize with not having much time for pleasure reading. I feel like all I read are textbooks lately.

May 22, 2007 10:50 AM  
Blogger MMajor Fan said...

My first tag! What a nice surprise :-) You're my new blogger friend too. I come to this blog for a smile and refreshment.

I read the entire Left Behind series and was glad I did. Not because I'm into S&M and it's like a horrid body and soul toothache lol, but because I really didn't understand what kooky beliefs and misinterpretations of scripture that this segment of people propagate. The only times I read nutty and depressive lit is when I need to in order to understand the framework of someone I'm counseling.

I like your choices. JPII was great genius but mostly I remember him for his formidable love and faith. I don't read him too often, I look at him everyday, his picture on my wall and it eases my eyes to look at him. I do read PB16 most days because I'm totally in sync with him. If I've had a stressful day, I read a few random pages from one of his books and I feel I'm relaxing with a long time friend. His intelligence is also amazing, but with him it's smooth like having tea.

May 23, 2007 3:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis