Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

It Hurts to Revert


Scott Lyons over at Sweptover has written a post regarding the pain of reversion/conversion that many of us could have written. He stated that the hostility directed towards Catholicism seen with Francis Beckwith's reversion opened old wounds. (The reformation wars are still being fought in his com box as we speak) I have tried at times in my blog to express the painful losses of my reversion but Scott says it better than I:

"It's true that I became Catholic. But I changed churches; I did not change who I am, or my relationship with them or others. They and others have changed our relationships. They and others have voluntarily withdrawn from me emotionally and spiritually. They and others have, apparently, felt that they needed to do so.

And I'm sorry for all of them. I'm sorry for all those who a friend or family member's decision to, on their own journey, follow Christ into the Catholic Church has been so incomprehensible and objectionable to them that it fundamentally changes how they view that person.

It's painful. It hurts that following Christ can cost so much because of other believers. It hurts to hear disparaging words spoken about you and your relationship to Christ from brothers and sisters. It hurts to see people whom you love and respect distance themselves from you because of their inability to recognize even the possibility of Christ in a Church that believes and worships differently than they do. It hurts to hear the Church you so dearly love spoken about with such hostility."


4 Comments:

Blogger Kacy said...

A lot of Protestants and cradle Catholics don't understand why we get so excited about others converting or reverting. It is because we know the difficulties they have faced. Many of us have had to leave mother, father, family, or friends to make this journey. We haven't wanted to leave them, but they have pulled away from us. Those who convert or revert need prayer, especially from those of us who understand their sufferings.

May 10, 2007 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's only one way, so it seems. I know dozens of Catholics who have converted to Protestantism and haven't lost a friend or severed any familial relationships.

John J. Simmins

May 10, 2007 3:55 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

So true re: both comments. I can attest to the same thing. Many former friends have "changed" I haven't...well, I have but am really the "me" God's created me to be, in HIS CHURCH. I'm the seeker of Truth that found the fulfillment of my Methodism, my Evangelicalism and Pentecostalism in the Church Jesus established, but yet now, it's so difficult for these previous dear friends to conceive that we'd actually return to the "idol worshiping" "pagan mixing" church!" The one they left to start the "real church" and be like the "Early Christians were." But then you ask them to read the Early Church Fathers and they choke on something and can't seem to "go there!" Like the disciples of John and Paul don't have a handle on as much as some "upstart Christian" and his bible do, 2000 years later??? Gimme a Break!

As Jews convert and become fulfilled Jews, others convert and become fulfilled whatever brand of Christian they were. It takes the best of the "slice of Truth" that was in those congregations, for there is always 'some Truth' and blows apart the fallacy of the other stuff, or rather the misguided theology is completely obliterated. For me, it didn't hurt as much losing my misinformed theology as much as it's hurt losing the folks who were friends. It's a very painful time, yet the most exciting in a way. Jesus himself walked this earth and was treated the same, those in his home town and family disparaged and ignored him...so I know we're "in the right place!"

We're now walking the painful path to "Calvary" in a sense, carrying the "cross of loss." It's a suffering of loss and costly and many tears are shed, each in our own Gethsemane. Of course our pain is NOTHING compared to that of our Lord, but he does know what we're going through and he's acquainted with grief and has borne our sorrows. I find that the Communion of Saints are my bulwark in this time. I've made and been blessed with so many friends in the CC and those now before the Risen Lord. God has turned the loss into 'gain' in a mannner of speaking. Even though I still ache for those former friends, the Saints of old and newer ones have been a "100 fold blessing."

Jesus was accused, slandered, and ridiculed he couldn't convince many...which comforts me deeply. If "HE" couldn't succeed explaining Truth to others, then I shouldn't think that I'll have a better response from those "set in their ways" and their 'man-made traditions' - which they believe they DON'T have and don't participate in at all.

God love 'em all. I miss many of them and pray for them to return HOME to ROME. I'm not sure what seeds are planted in the hearts of those who still get my emails and visit the blog(s) I've got running, but if just ONE will at least be open to not harboring hatred to the CC then my heart will rejoice.

Great post TJ! Thanks!

susie

May 11, 2007 12:57 PM  
Blogger MMajor Fan said...

My heart goes out to those who have suffered and been sad as consequences of others since their conversion. I do understand. I'm a cradle Catholic, so I've not had to convert, as I've always known the true faith. But I've suffered terribly from stalking and persecution due to my faith, especially from a cult. I've lost jobs, my home, and a pregnancy as a result.

Apocalypse 8:4-5
and with the prayers of the saints there went up before God from the angel's hand the smoke of the incense. and the angel took the censer and filled it with the fire of the altar and threw it down upon the earth...

May 11, 2007 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis