Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, May 08, 2008

More Thoughts on Pentecost


As a young believer of 14 of 15 years old, most of the born again folks I was with had received the gift of tongues early after their conversions but I hadn't. One night we were camping out in the woods and reading Scripture and praying. I thought this was as good a time as any to pray to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. Hands were layed upon me and I waited expectantly to speak in tongues as a sign perhaps, that the Spirit had indeed fallen. I didn't feel anything nor did I receive the gift of tongues, and still haven't some 33 years later! As a middle-aged adult, and now as a Catholic, I have come to believe that our life is a series of conversions as we are changed, " from glory to glory." Perhaps the Spirit did baptize me anew or strengthen me that night. It's hard to say but if we ask for bread, He won't give us a stone.

I appreciate the way the Catholic Church uses these nine days between His ascension and Pentecost to renew us and once again fill us with the power of the Holy Spirit. We ask God to make our hearts docile and open to the operation of the Holy Spirit in us. We read the gospels and see "inside" Jesus' relationship with the Father as he prays for his Church. In Acts, we daily read the way the Spirit lead Paul and the early disciples in their missionary activities. In Our Daily Bread (the Eucharist) we receive the flesh and blood of our Savior and the graces needed to live this Christian life. I am praying and hoping this week that He will continue to revitalize the gifts He has given me through my baptism and confirmation . Wouldn't it be a riot if I received the gift of tongues now that I'm Catholic! Stranger things have happened.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

Oh you make me laugh! When I was going through a Pentecostal phase, I took my two kids to two different services where laying on of hands to receive the gift of tongues was going to happen. So, did I receive the gift of tongues? No. But both my kids did. I still laugh about it to this day. Neither one has spoken in tongues since, but they did receive the gift. And it was my son who soon after really began yearning to become Catholic. Ah, God works in His own way.

May 09, 2008 8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years ago at the confirmation by the bishop in our diocese (Charlotte), our priest reported that a 3 or 4 year old child was there watching and asked his mom why there was fire above the heads of those being confirmed.

May 09, 2008 10:17 AM  
Blogger + Alan said...

Stranger things indeed. The charismatic movement basically got started inside the Catholic Church in America, so we shouldn't be surprised.

As a Catholic Christian in college about 23 years ago, I began investigating Scripture about this whole business and finally decided Him to baptize me (immerse me, fill me to overflowing) with/in His Holy Spirit - that if that is something He wanted for me, to pour it over me. I asked specifically to be able to pray in tongues.

I was lying prostrate on the floor in my apartment with a candle burning and a John Michael Talbot record playing as I worshiped alone. I began to pray and eventually was praying in tongues. I described how it "felt" later - as if "light" were sort of burning in my chest. God did something there, in me, in response to my faith in asking Him.

I still pray in tongues when the "need" arises - when I have nothing to say, in times of worship, and often under my breath as I'm going up to receive Him in the Eucharist. I sort of consider myself a "post-charismatic" at this point, meaning I still see all those things as legitimate parts of the Christian spiritual life, but that they should just be more normal and not focused on so much or run after so hard as sometimes happens. I saw tons of running too hard after things in non-denom charismatic circles for a while too - not the healthiest thing.

Anyway, just made me remember and wanted to share that. Peace to you.

May 10, 2008 9:56 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Alan said:
"I still see all those things as legitimate parts of the Christian spiritual life, but that they should just be more normal and not focused on so much or run after so hard as sometimes happens."
Exactly, many of us did that very thing in the early Jesus movement.
thanks for the comment

May 11, 2008 8:54 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Gretchen, that's very cool! so tongues brought your kids to the Church :) !

May 11, 2008 8:55 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Yeah Tim, signs and wonders never stopped with the last disciples, but sometimes it takes the innocent eyes of faith of a child to see them.

May 11, 2008 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis