Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, July 28, 2008

40th Anniversary of Humane Vitae

July 25th marked the 40th anniversary of Humane Vitae. Just when the world thought the Vatican would finally cave in to the pressures of the modern world regarding birth control, Pope Paul reiterated the 2000 year old moral teachings of the Church. Not only did he reiterate the constant teaching of the Church but made predictions of what would happen to marriage and family with the widespread adoption of contraception brought about by the development of the OCP. His predictions all came to pass . Divorce skyrocketed, the abuse of women became widespread and governments would use forced contraception to control their citizens. Maybe this old Italian celibate knew more than he was credited for.
Check out this article in FirstThings.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another article, is linked over at my site. It's a sober read on this anniversary.

July 29, 2008 2:18 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks for the link. I read it. Boy what was in the water in the seminaries back then?

July 29, 2008 10:16 PM  
Blogger PlainCatholic said...

God bless our Popes; tis a reason why we need to trust that the Holy Spirit guides our Church. Pope Paul was spot on!

July 30, 2008 10:48 AM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

As plaincatholic stated, "Pope Paul was spot on!"

Was he ever!!

August 02, 2008 2:25 PM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

guess how we celebrated the 40th anniversary of H.V..?

my husband got a vasectomy REVERSAL! (ouch! :-)

we didn't even realize the significance of the date back when we scheduled the surgery.

God never ceases to amaze.

August 09, 2008 5:35 PM  
Blogger Brother James said...

Last summer, it came to mind that the 40th anniversary of HV was around the corner, and I wanted to devote some special attention to it. October ended with my wife telling me that we were pregnant. So, instead of blogging a lot about Humanae Vitae, I ended up living it, with our fourth child, a daughter, born in June of this year.

Yeah, I got a lot of questioning looks from friends and colleagues, and advice to "snip-snip" from even a couple Catholics that I know. I just shake my head, and pray for them, that someday, they will be enlightened to the wisdom that Pope Paul VI had when writing that encyclical.

August 13, 2008 12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis