Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, November 14, 2008

More Church Fathers Weigh in On Mary's Role in the Church

Mary, you are the vessel and tabernacle containing all mysteries. You know what the Patriarchs never knew; you have experienced what was never revealed to the Angels; you have heard what the Prophets never heard. In a word, all that was hidden from preceding generations was made known to you; even more, most of these wonders depended on you. (270 A.D., St. Gregory Thaumaturgus),

Blessed Virgin, immaculate and pure you are the sinless Mother of your Son, the mighty Lord of the universe. You are holy and inviolate, the hope of the hopeless and sinful; we sing your praises. We praise you as full of every grace, for you bore the God-Man. We all venerate you; we invoke you and implore your aid...Holy and immaculate Virgin...be our intercessor and advocate at the hour of death and judgment...you are holy in the sight of God, to Whom be honor and glory, majesty, and power forever (373 AD, St. Ephem of Edessa)

It becomes you to be mindful of us, as you stand near Him Who granted you all graces, for you are the Mother of God and our Queen. Help us for the sake of the King, the Lord God Master Who was born of you. For this reason you are called 'full of Grace'..." (373 St. Athanasius)




10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a show for TJ Productions - Fathers Know Best.

November 14, 2008 9:19 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey Nancy!
Maybe PD and I need to get back into the old studio for a Catholic Basement Tape Production! Thanks for coming by!

November 15, 2008 7:51 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I wish that someone had just directed me to a few of the readings of the Church Fathers when I was first indoctrinated against the Church, but perhaps it wouldn't have the same impact that it does on me now. After all, many non-Catholics will pick quotes from the Fathers to show that the early church wasn't Catholic at all. I had a debate once with a non-Catholic christian who insisted that Augustine didn't believe in the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist. Now that's tough to swallow.

November 15, 2008 7:55 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

When I was first exploring the Church a (Catholic) friend slyly suggested I read things from the Fathers, and once I started delving into that treasurechest of knowledge I was hooked; becoming Catholic was pretty much a done deal. I asked her about it later and she admitted, "Yup, I knew if I got you to read the Fathers that would be it."

Love these sorts of posts! Keep it up! :-)

November 16, 2008 10:13 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks Maggie!
I always think that the way in which the ECF are "kept" from us is diabolical, When I first read Crossing the Tiber by Steve Ray and he quoted from the Fathers regarding the Eucharist, I was really angry because for 31 years, in all my evangelical wanderings a pastor never mentioned that the early Church did indeed believe Jesus became present during the Lord's Supper. Had I know that perhaps I would have converted sooner.... since I, as most Christians, have been trying to figure out how to get as close to Jesus as possible our whole life. And here He is in the Mass! He's been there all the time. This song here was my description of discovering this.

November 17, 2008 7:36 AM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

oh, these quotes are just *lovely*! thank you for sharing them! and speaking of Mr. Ray, he's got my beloved's email to him posted today. check it out, and rejoice with me!

http://blog.catholic-convert.com/?p=2458

lovin' yer blog, Tiber Jumper! keep up the great work!

November 18, 2008 4:35 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

hey bernadette:
I read his story very nice!
God bless you guys. you are from the LV?

November 19, 2008 6:24 PM  
Blogger Bernadette said...

born-n-raised in southside Bethlehem. i was privileged to attend Holy Ghost Church and school for eight years! is the Church still there? *so* beautiful, with the candles and statues and those endless stained glass windows imported from Germany. you could get lost in those velvety windows! please tell me the Church is still there and still active (i know the school isn't)...

November 19, 2008 8:23 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

yes it's still there and is pastored by Fr Killian who also is the Catholic Chaplain for Lehigh University. I went to Moravian College in the late 70's and though I was "born again" and left the Church in my mind as a 14 year old, my parents still forced me to go so I played guitar in the folk mass at Moravian for two years until I finally said no more to my poor parents.
Though I was a devout evangelical, I was blind to what was before me, totally missed Jesus in the Eucharist, took me 31 years to find my way back, more than half a lifetime.
I now look back fondly on those devout Catholic kids who still went to Mass at college, not because they were forced but because they knew it was True and Good. I was just going thru the motions, too many Chick tracts brain washed me!
BTW , I love stain glass windows especially after 30 yrs in gymnasiums and warehouse churches.
check out my song stain glass window on the player thing on the blog.
Take care
russ

November 19, 2008 10:24 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Thanks Russ!

I haven't gotten around to responding to these posts, but they do indeed force me to think. I really appreciate the time you put into these, and you caring enough to talk these over with me. I would love an in-person convo some day. I respect you my friend!

-g-

November 21, 2008 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis