Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Leaving For Haiti


Prodigal Daughter and I and 6 other folks are leaving for Port-Au-Prince Haiti this Saturday for a one week medical mission in the parish of St. Simon and Jude. We will be providing basic medical care out of a "clinic" and "pharmacy" that we will set up on the grounds of the parish. Another physician from Indiana will be flying in to meet us on Sunday so we will have two doctors, two nurses and four others to help run the pharmacy and guide the patients through the process.
This will be my 10th medical mission to Haiti but my first one in which I will be able to receive Jesus daily in Mass and pray the rosary in Creole with my Haitian brothers and sisters.
Pray that God gives us favor with the customs agents as we are attempting to bring in 16 bags loaded with approximately $8000 worth of medications and supplies. In the past we either had meds confiscated or had to pay huge bribes to get through customs. Fr. Andrew in PAP is working with the archdiocese in the hopes of getting a letter from the bishop which may be helpful at customs, but it's really in the hands of God.
Pray that God will give us supernatural discernment to diagnose and treat without basic diagnostic tests or equipment.
Pray for the health and safety of the team while we are there.
Thanks so much for your prayers. I will have video and pics Lord willing, when we get back.
"There are two places on this earth where you truly can't get any closer to Jesus: in the Eucharist and in the poor and suffering."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My prayers are with you. I appreciate the specifics on what to pray for, and also will pray for courage and encouragement for all of you.
Barb

January 13, 2009 7:00 PM  
Blogger JP said...

What a wonderful thing you are doing. Take care of yourself.


Been there many times, if you get down to the docks where the ships pull in, you can get some really nice statues made of mahogany wood. Men pull up in there little row boats trying to earn a living by selling them. Amazing stuff.

January 13, 2009 9:38 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Russ,

I am so thankful for this opportunity you have! I can't imagine someone more full of love going to do such a thing. May the grace of our Lord be with you.

I am certain, you will encourage and uplift and also be uplifted. The little quote at the bottom of this post says it all!

We will be raying for both of you. Please let us know if any other needs come up. We look forward to hearing the details when you get back!

Much Love to you my brother!

-g-

January 13, 2009 11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many prayers for a safe trip and a fruitful stay. God bless.

January 14, 2009 11:44 AM  
Blogger owenswain said...

God bless you. Please know we will be praying and thinking after you and those you will serve and be served by.

January 14, 2009 2:12 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

You and Deborah are in our prayers. Someday, maybe we can join you on a mission. We're not medical, but Rich is a carpenter and I can hug kids in need of a mother's touch. God bless and keep you. Kiss each child for me so I can "kiss Jesus" in Haiti from 'afar' through you. One heart, one mind, one faith...solidarity.

January 21, 2009 5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis