Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lent is Almost Here


Christians as far back as the early third century practiced some form of fasting and prayer in preparation for the celebration of Easter. More than 1,800 seasons of lent have come and gone and once again we repeat this ancient form of devotion preparing us, cleansing us, drawing us back to what truly matters in life.
We are now just one week away from our Lenten journey. There is much grace to be had in this season. I hope that by prayer and fasting we are able to draw nearer to Him and to fully understand the meaning of the Cross in our lives. Here's a prayer from the back of the holy card pictured above:

Dear Lord,
As I make my Lenten Journey
with You, send me Your
Spirit, help me to give of
myself, help me to turn away
from sin, and help me to fast
and pray, so that I may know
You better and serve You
better. Let me journey to share
Your grace with the world.

I ask this in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen

7 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

That's Beautiful! Let's do a novena...

February 15, 2009 7:47 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Absolutely a beautiful prayer. I have yet to celebrate a Lenten season, but even though I am still on the opposite side of the Tiber, I may take it up this year.

I wish everyone could be as serious about preparing their hearts to remember the passion of the Lord and walk through it in meditation and prayer. To be honest, more of our life spent with a focus on this would do all Christendom well.

May the Lord be with you both as you seek Him in this special time of memorial to the one act that brought us newness of life. Through the birth pangs that Christ bore for us, we were given the hope of Glory!

-g-

February 15, 2009 11:04 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

I LOVE LENT! It's my favorite season, leading to my favorite day, Divine Mercy Sunday! I had a longer comment but accidentally deleted it. : (
Maria Auxilium Christianorum ora pro nobis! St. Bosco's favorite ejaculatory prayer to Mary to "make the devil bankrupt! Great post, TJ.

February 16, 2009 8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've also been anticipating Lent--what can I give up this year or what work of Penance can I take on this year? Hmmmm...contemplation.

February 16, 2009 4:55 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

absolutely PD!

GW:The stations of the cross are prayed every Friday in Lent in most Catholic Churches and this combined with fasting is most powerful . Try Lent, you'll like it :)

Us too Susie!

Tara: Don't give up contemplation! :)
For me, last year it was coffee and skipping one meal a day. The migraine headache lasted for three solid days day and night! But it made me realize what a hold it had on me! This year I'm thinking of just skipping a meal and praying a rosary daily. Both of which I should do anyway.
Thanks for visiting folks

February 16, 2009 9:03 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Is that THIS FRIDAY, or does it start up on Sunday... forgive my ignorance :D

-g-

February 18, 2009 12:37 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

George:
it starts on Ash Wednesday, this year feb 25th and goes until Holy Saturday before Easter.
Here's a cool site about preparing for Lent .

Also,Why do we celebrate Ash Wednesday?

February 18, 2009 7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis