Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Why Lent?


Why not Lent? may be the better question. The Church for 2000 years has observed a forty day period of fasting, prayer and giving to the poor which is concluded by the celebration of the passion, death and resurrection of the Lord. Jesus himself fasted and prayed and called on us to die to ourselves and carry our cross. Lent is a time we focus on how our sins caused his wounds. We take time to review how we have been living our Christian lives. We pray more, we give more, we allow ourselves to be taken out of our comfort zone for 40 days. We ask the Holy Spirit to speak to us through our fasts and prayer. We remember our own mortality and our need for ongoing conversion .

During Mass today, the priest applied ashes on our foreheads and intoned "Remember, O Man, that you are from dust and to dust you shall return." It puts it all in perspective for us. Where we came from and where we are going and how we need Him to get there.

I think of how I spent most of my Christian life oblivious to Lent, bemused by my in-laws (good Lutherans) giving up sweets etc. I thought Christ had freed me from such religious practices, but I was enslaved by my own inability to give up anything or practice any self-mortification. Check out Prodigal Daughter's most excellent post on Lent here.

Like many Catholic bloggers, I'm going to back- off the internet and post less frequently during Lent. God be with all of you during these next 40 days.


For some tips on making this Lent the best ever, check out Catholicity's Lenten message.

3 Comments:

Blogger MMajor Fan said...

Hi tiber. Interestingly I am spending this Lent attending Baptist services, as I've been taken in for housing by some very kind members of that faith. I hope that you are having a spiritual and productive Lent.

April 02, 2009 12:51 PM  
Blogger Dan L. said...

I tried to go to your link...

...Prodigal Daughter...it said I needed to be invited and was denied access. You may wanna look at that one....

Nice, fine post, just the same, Tiber...

--Dan L.

March 08, 2011 11:23 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Dan
My wife, Prodigal daughters blog has been down for quite sometime. she took it off line after she felt it had served its purpose. Sorry for the bad link.
God bless your Lent!

March 09, 2011 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis