Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, April 17, 2009

Wherever You Go, There Be the Church.


(photo courtesy of Bruce Kravetz)
One of the benefits of having a son in college in Philadelphia is that we get to visit him and the city a bit as well. When I was there during my medical training from 1985-89 I had precious little time to visit the city. Also, at that time I would not have been interested in visiting a Catholic Church. I recently discovered upon returning to the house in Philadelphia I lived in for four years, that a rather large Catholic parish was just a few blocks down from us, and I never took note of it. (What if I had just stopped in one day. Would I have sensed His presence in the tabernacle? These thoughts will continue to haunt me until glory, but I digress)
We took our son to Mass at Saint John the Baptist in Manayunk. It was a great joy to receive Christ in the Eucharist in this beautiful historic church (1860's). My son, who is not Catholic, remarked that he thought it was neat that there is always a Catholic Church to attend wherever you go. I said "Yeah, I think that's what Jesus had in mind when he started this Church!"

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool! When we went to New York and Rome, it felt so good to sit in the churches away from the hustle and bustle of life--it felt so familiar--it felt like being home :)

It's amazing what you "discover" when you know what to look for.

April 17, 2009 2:26 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Is that the Church? AMAZING!!! We have one that is almost that beautiful. I have YET to go to Mass there. They Have Eucharistic Adoration 247 there.

Blessings in Christ our Lord,
-g-

April 17, 2009 7:43 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

P.S. I love Manayunk! Cool town!

April 17, 2009 7:44 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

yes, George, that's the Church. I put a link to a local manayunk photographer who took a series of photos of the Church, Bruce Kravetz.
The Church is designed by Irish American architect Patrick Keely who designed over 700 Churches through the country in the last 19th Century.
What a legacy!

April 17, 2009 8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis