Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Close Encounter of the Cello Kind


I recently put up a cello* for sale on CraigsList.
A young woman from south Jersey came up to look at it with her Dad, a guy slightly older than me. We chatted for over an hour while she "test drove" the cello in another room. Turns out I lived in Philadelphia not far from where he went to highschool, a Catholic school. So that lead to my story that I just recently converted (5 years ago now) and a quick outline of my journey. This lead to another 45 minutes of discussion. Turns out he had a similar journey. Both he and his wife left the Church in the early 70's for an AOG-type charismatic church while the kids were young, but they have returned, including their grown kids as well! He seemed surprised when I told him I haven't seen many of my ex-Catholic friends returning to the Church, but seem to run in the opposite direction or put up the "wall of silence." He said, "I see a lot of people returning to the Catholic Church, not in droves mind you, but they are coming back."
With that happy thought, his daughter decided to buy the cello, we shook hands, I gave them a DVD of our Journey Home appearance, and a good time was had by all.

*I'll post about my two-week foray into cello playing sometime (just enough to put a couple tracks down for the new album)

2 Comments:

Blogger owenswain said...

Cello doesn't jiggle but with news like this it makes me just as happy.

June 11, 2009 2:07 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

That's just very cool, TJ.

June 12, 2009 5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis