Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Saying Goodbye


Today on his 23rd birthday, we drove our oldest son Jon to Center City Philadelphia to start his two year term in the Peace Corps. Tomorrow he will fly to Istanbul, then from there to Chisinau, Moldova. Moldova is the poorest country in Eastern Europe. He will live with a host family for three months in a rural village until he learns the language (either Romanian and/or Russian)then will be placed in another village to teach English, which will be his permanent assignment.
It is so hard to say goodbye but we trust that God will be with him. If you happen upon this blogpost please pray for him if you get a chance. Thanks so much.
My wife put together a video for him here on her blog.

6 Comments:

Blogger Maggie said...

My best friend (and three-year roommate) spend 2 years in Burkina Faso (West Africa) after we graduated. She did amazing things there, and I'm sure your son will be a blessing to the people he serves!!

June 09, 2009 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so hard to see them go, but as you see them walk away--that's what your goal was--from the moment they were born--to one day see them walk away--all grown-up on their own. Because of the love you have, it hurts, but a good hurt at a job well done--he has become a man. Oh, geeze, I'm crying with you and I will pray for him.

June 09, 2009 11:13 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

I'll be praying, TJ. The Memorare has just left my mouth to Mary's ears, to her Immaculate heart. Our Blessed Mother has her hand on Jon...she's nudging him along, and who knows, I wonder how far he'll be from Medjugorje? We will pray at Mass today for him, and I'll start a novena for him today, too. I will write the Carmelite sisters in South Dakota that I correspond with to have mass said there, too. God bless you and Deb...saying "goodbye" is hard, but he's off to meet and see Jesus in a whole new world and light, even if he doesn't think so!

Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on Jon and guide him to the waiting, loving arms of your Mother who will then hug him and take him to You in a special way, in the faces and hearts of those people who need only what Jon can bring them. He's in the good and gracious hands of Mary.

June 10, 2009 4:33 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks so much for your prayers. You guys are great!

June 10, 2009 6:21 AM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Brother, Blessings to you, prayers will be said on His behalf.

-g-

June 10, 2009 7:20 AM  
Blogger owenswain said...

Man, that's huge. My father's heart both rejoices and feels the weight. Peace be with you and your son and all with whom he interacts. May God continue to use your son's choices to draw him closer to the love and peace of Christ.

June 10, 2009 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis