Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, June 01, 2012

Reasons for Leaving the Catholic Faith

‎I recently read a post on Authentic Catholicism blog by Steven Thomas describing why people leave the faith. "The bare bones of it, they leave (the Catholic faith) because they do not believe Jesus Christ Himself in his splendor is offering Himself up in an unbloody manner for His beloved. They leave God to have coffee, sing songs, and talk about God." I would like to clarify and say that those who leave the Church were not necessarily looking for those things. Most, were like me, who did not have a personal relationship with Jesus and thus did not know or care about what was transpiring on the altar. We were living in the dark. Then we found the Lord Jesus and often, it was in a church or fellowship outside of the Catholic faith. Suddenly, everything was so new, different and appealing; the songs, the coffee hour, the fellowship and the highly charged positive emotions associated with our new found faith. We looked back at that "Old Catholic Church" and saw ritual, rote, and routines and still did not see Jesus in the "breaking of the bread." Had I known He was truly there and my eyes were opened, I would have forsaken the warm fellowship, positive worship experiences and yes, even the coffee, and high-tailed it back to the place where I could meet and eat God.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jillian said...

You're absolutely right...I know that was my experience, at least. And what a joy it is to finally have my eyes opened to the truth and beauty of the Mass!

June 01, 2012 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Steven Thomas said...

"The bare bones of it, they leave because they do not believe Jesus Christ Himself in his splendor is offering Himself up in an unbloody manner for His beloved." Their may be a hundred and one reasons other than this one, but if they believed this really they would say with Peter where else shall we go. I fail to see the point of disagreement with the essence of the statement, but only in the particulars. Everything else was nothing more than observations I've made over the years.

June 02, 2012 12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis