Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, March 14, 2014

Crossed The Tiber!

Crossing the Tiber is the euphemism to describe conversion to the Catholic faith. To get to the Eternal City, one has to cross the bridge across the Tiber.
   Ten years ago, my wife and I crossed the Tiber spiritually, returning to the Catholic faith after nearly a lifetime of being evangelical Protestants. This week we have been blessed to physically cross the Tiber River to come to Saint Peter's to celebrate our tenth anniversary of coming home to the same faith passed from Jesus to his successors.
   We prayed at Saint Peter's tomb and prayed at the site where he was crucified upside down. We saw the ancient obelisk that was the last thing he saw before he died. We received Jesus Christ in the Eucharist in the basilica of Saint Peter as countless saints and sinners have done since the construction of the Church in the early 4th century.
  It is hard to describe the emotions we experienced as we realized we were now both physically and spiritually in the Church that was built upon the one who received the keys of the kingdom from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We are home by his grace and for his glory.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome for you. When I was vacationing in North Carolina, I saw on the Church Channel this black Methodist pastor who was filmed at St. Peter's Square and bashing the church and blowing a ram's horn (Was that symbolic in some way?) and then claimed that the "Vatican police" grabbed him and ejected him roughly but the camera somehow suspiciously did not catch that part (?) which they surely would have filmed given the chance. It was all very strange. And this guy looked so egotistical and hateful. It was not Christ-like at all; I was a bit unnerved and dismayed. I'm certain that crap probably happens all the time over there. I hope Jesus was able to get into his heart a bit when he was over there spreading him some hate. I did say a prayer for him. Julie

March 14, 2014 8:24 AM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

How marvelous, Russ! That is a memory to treasure forever. Hope you have more tales to tell.

March 14, 2014 5:13 PM  
Anonymous RenĂ©e said...

There's a Church Channel?? Learned something new....

So glad you and Deborah could make the trip, Russ! God bless you! Remember to pray for us back here!

March 15, 2014 1:41 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Will do Renee!!

March 15, 2014 5:08 PM  
Blogger 15thClub said...

I "crossed the Tiber" in 2012. It took about 20 years. A cradle Lutheran who saw the backbiting and divisiveness of the LCMS schism of the 1970's. Went over to the Episcopal Church then had to leave it when (Episcopal) Bishop Spong wrote an article (and was never censored) that the resurrection never happened. I found myself in the wilderness, married to a wonderful cradle Catholic, the love of my life these past 35 years. Attended Mass but lovingly told my wife (but had to warn her parents) that I would attend Mass to see what the RCC was about and keep an open mind but "pushing" would not be tolerated. It was a self imposed "wilderness" period that in looking back, had to happen. I began reading on so many issues where Catholics and Protestants have irreconcilable disagreement. Initially, I disagreed but was impressed how the RCC defended their argument. Pope John Paul II was dismantling the Soviet Union; one prayer, one Mass at a time...I took note; "Somethings going on here that cannot be ignored." The readings and research continued; read the history of the Early Church; hmmm I thought, "My Protestant upbringing never told me this!" Battled cancer 2009 - 2010, in remission but the battle never ends; it's a disease that has one looking over their shoulder the rest of their earthly life. Then Father (now Bishop) Barron's 10 part "Catholicism" Series comes out in late 2011. I scarfed the last set at the local Catholic store and spent the whole weekend watching it over and over. Twenty years in the wilderness finally ended, Bishop Barron's work, finally brought it all together...just one last step...the hardest step of all; a step no cradle Catholic, Priest, Bishop, Archbishop, Cardinal or Pope can ever understand...making that ONE final decision to cross that bridge. For Protestants, that distance over the Tiber might as well be the length of the Universe itself it is that difficult. But for those like myself and others who took that step and never looked back, it is the great decision of a lifetime and the desire to finally seek and live in the fullness of our Lord's grace and love. My wife tells me I know so much more about the Church than she does. Why is this so? Do cradle Catholics take their Church for granted? Is the Church not sufficiently seeking out us (Protestant) converts to get a more in-depth insight to why us "Tiber Catholics" came over? Are we a visible but ignored resource that might provide this insight to stem the exodus of so many from the fullness of the Catholic Christian faith? Do cradle Catholics REALLY know the great and wonderful gift given to them at birth; a gift we struggled for, some disowned by family, relatives, and friends. Now some might think that the terms "All Star Tiber Swim Team Class of XXXX" might be a bit crass and flippant. I would encourage those who would think as much to consider the struggle. Us Tiber Catholics are grateful, humble, quietly proud, and know the difficult rational and emotional issues of Protestants still on the other side of that bridge. Seek us out, pick our brains so that we all can develop the right strategies and arguments to get them to take that first step and not look back with the full faith and knowledge that God will direct our course!

February 10, 2018 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis