Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, February 08, 2014

Call No Man Your Father.....Really?


As a young born-again Christian, I sneered at the "dumb Catholic Church" for calling priests "father". Didn't they read the bible? Of course not! Didn't they want to obey Scripture? No!  As a rebellious fourteen year old kid with an axe to grind against his parent's religion, it was "easy" for me to understand scripture (in the light of Chick tracts and such teaching) and turn it against the Church of my upbringing.
    Little did I know at that time that the Catholic Church existed a full 350 years before the New Testament was compiled and that this Church discerned which books and letters would ultimately end up in this book we now call the Bible.  Well, now that I got that off my chest, I wanted to bring attention to some great apologetics being done by Church of Christ- to- Catholic convert, Pat Vandapool.  Pat's blog posts are mostly aimed at Church of Christ folks but they apply very readily to all non-Catholic Christians, particularly the more fundamentalist sects. His writing style is like a cold splash of water in the face meant to wake up the reader to the reality of the logic presented to them. For those who argue that his style is not syrupy sweet, I suggest taking a look at Saint Francis DeSales' Catholic Controversy.
  Check Patrick out here.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good link, thanks!
-Czar

February 08, 2014 1:08 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

I've been listening to the Bible. Sure but what I mean is literally listening to the New Testament RSVCE audio and last night Paul was "saying"; " For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel."

One wonders at the mental gymnastics we used to perform with such abandon to not have to reconcile that with the misunderstood {and there's the key} Matthew 23:9 :)

March 07, 2014 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis