A few years ago former Archbishop of Los Angeles, Cardinal Roger Mahoney, asked his flock to take the "Saint Francis" pledge
to do more to save the environment and prevent global climate change. Certainly well and good, however, on this greast feast of Saint Thomas Aquinas, why not renew our devotion to the Eucharist, the Source and Summit of our faith by taking the Saint Thomas Aquinas pledge below? Would that we all would just have a tincture of the understanding and love of the Eucharist that the great Doctor of the Church, Saint Thomas experienced. (Please copy and paste and share with your friends and family)
- I as a Catholic who has agreed to accept and obey all the teachings of the Catholic Church will commit to learning all God wishes to teach me regarding the Most Blessed Sacrament, the Holy Eucharist. As an integral aspect of this pledge, I will seek to grow in my understanding of what the Eucharist is and what place it has in my spiritual life.
- I hereby pledge to make Christ in the Eucharist the source and summit of my faith and to meditate on the mystery of his Body and Blood offered to me in the appearances of bread and wine.
- I hereby pledge to study the history of the early Christians and the writings of the Church Fathers to gain an appreciation for the role of the Eucharist in the life and growth of Christendom.
- I hereby pledge to study the lives of the saints who have made the Eucharist the center of their lives and to ask their intercession that I too will grow in Eucharistic amazement and wonder.
- I hereby pledge to never receive Christ's body and blood unless I am in a state of grace meaning; I harbor no mortal sin as I approach the altar to receive Him. As a part of this pledge, I resolve to confess my sins to a priest at least once a month in order to be fully receptive to all the grace Jesus has for me.
- I hereby pledge to make extra visits to my parish when possible to worship Him in adoration/exposition and/or to spend time before the Blessed Sacrament reposed in the Tabernacle.
- I hereby pledge to share my understanding and love of the Eucharist with other Catholics and non-Catholics who may be interested in hearing why we wish to live Eucharistically centered lives.
- I hereby pledge to live a life pleasing to God in profound gratitude for this most ineffable gift He has left His Church.