Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I Don't Want a "Lampstandectomy"


In Mass yesterday, the priest read from Revelation.

I heard the Lord saying to me:“To the angel of the Church in Ephesus, write this:“‘The one who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks in the midst of the seven gold lampstands says this:“I know your works, your labor, and your endurance, and that you cannot tolerate the wicked; you have tested those who call themselves Apostles but are not, and discovered that they are impostors. Moreover, you have endurance and have suffered for my name, and you have not grown weary. Yet I hold this against you: you have lost the love you had at first. Realize how far you have fallen. Repent, and do the works you did at first. Otherwise, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place, unless you repent.

I haven't read that verse in a few years and last night I was struck by the reality that Christ was telling me;
1) I need to keep my love for Him fresh and new.
2) I need to be aware of how far I have fallen from that grace.
3) I need to repent.
4) I need to do the works, continue to labor and endure
5)If I don't do these things, He will come and remove my lampstand.

Now with my "Once Saved Always Saved" colored- glasses removed, the Sacred Scripture was telling me I needed to repent, stay in love with Jesus and endure to the end or I would undergo a painful procedure called a lampstandectomy!

Thankfully, Jesus doesn't leave us on our own and powerless to do these works.
He sends us His Holy Spirit and gives us the grace to repent and indeed much grace is poured out in the Sacrament of the Altar and Reconciliation.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'fear and trembling' is perfectly appropriate, given the gravity of the matter of Salvation, and the real possibility that we can screw it up. Make sure you've got extra oil for your lamp as well..

vigilate itaque quia nescitis diem neque horam

November 22, 2006 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis