Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Catholic Guilt Part 2


Since I have been Catholic for two and a half years, I haven't actually seen Catholic guilt among the Catholics I run into. It must exist mostly for those ex-Catholics who still feel remorse over leaving and/or choosing a path that is contrary to Christian values. I have spent some time with the religious brothers of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal and was impressed with their sense of joy and adventure. The best explanation of the sacrament of reconciliation (confession) I ever heard was from one of these brothers. He explained that he thinks of it as "speaking into the ear of God." I try to remember that when I approach the confessional with some apprehension at times.
Apprehensive because I'm feeling guilty, no! It's just darn humbling sometimes to confess with our lips the dark thoughts of our heart and stupid things we sometimes do as Christians. But sense of joy that results afterwards as well as the "I know that I know" I have been forgiven is worth the sometimes apprehensive wait in the unfortunately short lines to confession.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis