Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Young Catholics Embrace the Sacraments

Last evening my wife and I had the opportunity to share the story of our conversion with a gathering of Catholic youth groups in our diocese. The evening started with praise and worship lead by a team of musicians playing contemporary worship hymns. We then spoke to the group about the joy of returning to the Church we left so many years ago.

We emphasized the role of the Eucharist in our lives and how as young Catholics they have the sacraments of Eucharist and Reconciliation to empower them to stay on-fire for Jesus. The talk was followed by Eucharistic Adoration during which priests were available for the Sacrament of Reconciliation. During adoration, many of the youth were on their knees with hands raised towards the Blessed Sacrament. It was heartwarming to see the confessional lines with 10-15 kids in line at both confessionals! It made me realize these young Catholic students understand and appreciate their faith and will Lord willing, be the generation of Catholics to “turn the tide.”

After my talk, a young adult running the soundboard for the event told me he enjoyed the talk and was not a Catholic. He said he appreciated the things I said and was not offended at my clear “pizza box” message: “I’ve tried the rest, now I have found the Best.”

I was hoping to impress on them the treasure they have in their Catholic faith . I think they already knew.

2 Comments:

Blogger owenswain said...

God bless you and your wife for your ministry and here's to more cradle Catholics like the youth you were speaking with. May a new generation of Catholics rise up in these dark days and help fulfill Pope John Paul II's call for a new evagelization.

November 20, 2006 8:31 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks O Boy!
It's only by His grace.
As an evangelical, I was never this forward about my faith so this represents a marked change of disposition for me.
I pray these young "catlik" kids hold onto the treasure. I think the key element is truly recognizing Him in the breaking of the bread. Once they understand and accept that He resides in the Tabernacles and Altars throughout the world and in their own parish, they will never leave. "To whom would we go Lord? You have the words of Eternal life"
I left the church at 14 years of age not realizing /knowing I was leaving Jesus. Had I known, I couldn't have left.

November 21, 2006 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis