Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Universal Church


I just got back from a trip to LA for a recording session. Whenever I am in a city away from home I go to Masstimes.org to find a place for daily Mass and Sunday worship. In the City of Angels there was no shortage of churches and we found a Church named St. Ann's, just like our home parish! In years past as a non-Catholic Christian, if I was away from home on Sunday, and couldn't find a church that was similar to my home church, I simply wouldn't go. I didn't want to take a chance of worshipping at a church where the theology wasn't the same as mine.
In the Catholic Church, the liturgy remains the same some 3000 miles away and 2000 years later I am again able to meet my Lord in the Eucharist. It makes sense to me that the Church should indeed be universal so that the same beliefs and practices instituted by the apostles will be taught and practiced everywhere.

"[T]here are many other things which most properly can keep me in [the Catholic Church’s] bosom. The unanimity of peoples and nations keeps me here. Her authority, inaugurated in miracles, nourished by hope, augmented by love, and confirmed by her age, keeps me here. The succession of priests, from the very see of the apostle Peter, to whom the Lord, after his resurrection, gave the charge of feeding his sheep [John 21:15–17], up to the present episcopate, keeps me here. And last, the very name Catholic, which, not without reason, belongs to this Church alone, in the face of so many heretics, so much so that, although all heretics want to be called ‘Catholic,’ when a stranger inquires where the Catholic Church meets, none of the heretics would dare to point out his own basilica or house" ( St. Augustine, Against the Letter of Manicheus Called "The Foundation" 4:5 [A.D. 397]).

5 Comments:

Blogger Prodigal Daughter said...

Welcome back TJ. We missed you!

December 20, 2006 8:54 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Glad to be back!! ;)
Glad to be anywhere.

December 20, 2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger owenswain said...

We had a not dissimilar experience this summer. Over a number of weeks we took in three different churches. In one case the Mass was celebrated in a reverent and beautiful manner. In another it was just a little too much like the Evangelical party we have been pleased to leave behind. The third was just OK, the celebrant was fine but rather perfunctory and the homily a tad sparse. However, in each case the essence of the liturgies was the same and our Eucharistic Lord was absolutely the same. He is who we come to worship, offer and receive so in all three cases we were blessed by our universal Church.

December 20, 2006 12:12 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

My Dear TJ and Mrs. TJ! Welcome home, and safely! It seems that God hears THIS Protestant's prayers as well! Or, uh, I suppose it could be a coincidence...
Just Kidding!

God Bless and Merry Christmas!

Pilgrimsarbour

December 21, 2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

No coincidence Pilgrim, it's all predestined ! :)
Thanks for your prayers!
They were coveted and appreciated and God was with us and gave us great blessings during the trip.

December 21, 2006 12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis