Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Discovery, Immense and Late.

Catholic convert Rob Evans (Donut Man) calls his "conversion" to Catholicism more of a "discovery" of Catholicism. His blog called Late For Supper reflects that. Other converts too have described their conversion as a sense of joyful, immense and late discovery. It may be unfair of us convert/reverts to use the term "conversion" only because it denigrates our previous life experience as if they were invalid. Perhaps, the idea of discovering Catholicism may be more accurate as The D-Man says:

"I didn’t convert to Catholicism, I discovered Catholicism. The word “converted” I wear reluctantly only because it communicates, and it’s an accepted part of Catholic culture."



Malcolm Muggeridge (British writer/social commentator and late-life convert at 79 years of age)

"Our entry into the Church is settled, which gives me, not so much exhilaration as a deep peace; to quote my own words: A sense of homecoming, of picking up the threads of a lost life, of responding to a bell that had long been ringing, of taking a place at a table that had long been vacant."


St. Augustine

"Late have I loved you, O Beauty ever ancient, ever new, late have I loved you! You were within me, but I was outside, and it was there that I searched for you."


Lastly, an unknown late life discoverer/convert:

"If all this is really true (Real Presence, Apostolic succession etc.) I am going to be so PO'd ."

Tiber Jumper April of 2004
(After Reading Steve Ray's Crossing the Tiber)

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There is an interview with Rob Evans on a podcast known as the GrapeVine News Minute podcast. In it he talks very candidly about his conversion. Visit http://www.gvonline.net; click on the GrapeVine Podcast button and you'll be taken to a page that has a player where you can just click on the episode and listen to the interview. There's other stuff before it, just so you know.

August 9, 2007 10:11 AM

August 09, 2007 1:28 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks Susan, I'll check it out!

August 09, 2007 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis