Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Life Without Jesus is Like a Donut ,Catholic-Style!


Today my wife and I had the joy of going to a Donut Man concert at a nearby parish. ( I have blogged on his conversion before) Years ago, our young children spent hours listening to Donut Man's cassette tapes and he was the equivalent of an evangelical Christian "Raffi." His CD's and videos have sold millions world-wide and he has been a fixture in the evangelical kid's ministry for the past 20 years. This past Easter, he and his wife crossed the Tiber and were received into the Catholic Church. Quite a jump in hyperspace for an independent evangelical I would say! When I asked him how and why he converted, he mentioned reading Thomas Aquinas which he found in a bookstore as well as a devotional by John Paul 2. He mentioned John 6 and Jesus' teaching on the Eucharist. He said he no longer had to play "twister with Scripture" when he read the Bible.

His message was beautiful and captivating and he had the entire sanctuary jumping up and down singing Hosannah! For a second I thought I was in my old charismatic church except this was St. Isidore's complete with a large crucifix at the center and wonderful statuary and fonts full of holy water. To be sure, the priest did take Jesus out of the tabernacle so Donut Man would not punctuate his performance with genuflections each time he crossed in front of the tabernacle!

Rob Evan's (Donut Man) message was clear: "I love the Church, I love Jesus and I love the Bible. This past Easter my wife and I had our first Eucharist!"

He presented the sacraments for the children in a very appealing and understandable way.
He explained the sacrament of confession as Jesus taking the "trash of sin" out of the Donut hole. He explained that we can fill that Donut Hole in our hearts with Jesus in the Eucharist when we feast on Him at Mass.
He explained to the children how Jesus died on the Cross for us and He washes away our sins in baptism.
The fonts of holy water are there to remind us of our baptismal vows:

"When I take a bath, I think about the Lord
And how he washed away my sins, let me tell you more,
"Holy water on my face,
Reminds me of God's love and grace."

God bless you Donut Man as God uses you to energize the young people and help them to see the beauty in the Sacraments!

4 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Ahh... Were you the one who left the comment in my chat box last night?

I'll have to check this Donut Man out for my own kids... How awesome that he found his way "home" and was willing to follow God even at the possible cost of his career!

Great post!

January 15, 2007 1:13 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Yes Amber!
He is risking much to Cross the Tiber.
Just punch his name in a blogsearch and you will find many sites that are stupefied by his conversion and not jumping up and down!(Hosanna)
God will take care of him.

January 16, 2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger harmonie said...

Thank God I found this,... I've been looking everywhere for the lyrics to "when I take a bath" can you help? I tried the donut mans website but I'm having troubles with it. I grew up with this song and I can't seem to remember all the words to this song and I know that my boys would love it. If you can help,...
thanks

July 21, 2008 1:34 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Sorry Can't help you Harmonie, but if you go to any Christian/Catholic bookstore, I am sure they have a Donutman songbook with the lyrics.
God bless

July 21, 2008 8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis