Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Thomas a Kempis And Our Daily Bread


Thomas a Kempis is a 15th century Christian who has the honor of being read and appreciated by believers on both sides of the Tiber River. I used to read his classic The Imitation of Christ years before I ever reverted to Catholicism. I can't remember now what I must have thought when I got to the chapter regarding Holy Communion. You can read his writings on-line courtesy of Calvin College Etheral Library.

Thanks to You, Creator and Redeemer of men, Who, to declare Your love to all the world, have prepared a great supper in which You have placed before us as food, not the lamb, the type of Yourself, but Your own most precious Body and Blood, making all the faithful glad in Your sacred banquet, intoxicating them with the chalice of salvation in which are all the delights of paradise; and the holy angels feast with us but with more happiness and sweetness."


It is no wonder that many of us reverts/converts do what ever we can to go to Mass as often as possible. We, like Thomas, are made glad in His sacred banquet and the amazing privilege of being able to partake in the delights of paradise. God is gracious and so kind to allow us to partake in the Most Blessed Sacrament on a daily basis. Truly He "gives us this day our daily bread" and the scales have fallen from our eyes so we can now see it.

PS: I thought he was a saint, I was incorrect, he has not been officially recognized yet. Took 400 years to canonize the martyr St. Thomas More. What's the hurry?

5 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

A book that has been universally hailed as a masterpiece of Christian virtue. I have an 1889 edition of De imitatione Christi and have found it to be inspiring.

January 04, 2007 7:51 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

"In all things I have sought rest, but I could only find it in little nooks with little books."
Thomas a Kempis

January 04, 2007 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sponsor gave me that book as a gift upon receiving the Holy Spirit at confirmation.

It's on my to-read list.

January 04, 2007 10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading that book as well. Keep up the good blogging.

January 07, 2007 1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aren't kempis's words so inspiring? i ran across some of his writings at http://www.gitananda.org/unity/index.php

July 04, 2007 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis