Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, April 27, 2007

Crossed the Tiber is One Year Old!


One year ago today I started this blog with these words:
"In order to get into Rome, the city of the seven hills, one needs to cross over the Tiber River...
I am saddened by the way in which many people (myself included until recently) dismiss Catholics and 2000 years of history."

17,392 hits and 368 blog posts later, I hope and pray that I have been able to communicate some of the beauty and truth of Catholicism, even if at times, in a flawed and stumbling manner. The end of this month also marks the third anniversary of my return to the Catholic Church along with Prodigal Daughter.

Many thanks to all my kind and thoughtful commenters that visit and contribute to the blog. One of the greatest joys for me was discovering how truly universal this Church is. In the past year, I have met converts and reverts from Canada, Great Britain, Nebraska, N. Carolina, Florida, Texas, California, Nevada, etc who have had nearly identical journeys of faith and discovery. I am also so grateful for the many faithful "cradle Catholics" who knew what(Who) they had and never left.

My prayers are offered to all my "silent readers" that may be dipping their toes into the Tiber or walking along the banks and looking across from a distance. May our Lord and Savior draw you closer to Himself through His riches in the one, holy, catholic and apostolic church.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A well-earned kudos for you, bro!

--Theo

April 27, 2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Congrats on one year! Your blog is one of my favorites!

April 27, 2007 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations TJ! I've been a reader of your blog for a while, though it's only fairly recently that I started posting. As an ex-evangelical who swum the Tiber myself, I can appreciate your perspective. It's a delight to see the obvious love you have for our Lord and His Church.

I really appreciate the fact that on your blog we can discuss the issues with civility.

All the best to you and Prodigal Daughter. May there be more pearls of spiritual insight to reflect upon in the days ahead.

God bless

April 27, 2007 1:15 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks for much for the support and encouragement, comments and prayers.
If just one non-Catholic or lapsed Catholic reads the site and decides to give the Church a second look it is worth it.

April 27, 2007 5:30 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Theo:
Your comments have always been calm, full of love and able to turn the flames down, particularly when I was starting to crank then up! Your perspective as a faithful cradle Catholic who has spent years and years fellowshipping in a evangelical/charismatic Church is important and gives a great balance to your insight. You are able to see both sides of the discussion more than most. Thank you!

April 27, 2007 5:35 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

nancy,
If you ever want me to post your conversion story please let me know, it would be interesting to hear how you crossed the tiber.
God bless

April 27, 2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Dobro TJ,

Many blessings to you and Prodigal as you celebrate your first anniversary in the blogosphere! Your posts are enticing and always get me thinking. I'm also grateful to you for introducing me to Google blogging, for the joy of it!

God bless,

Pilgrimsarbour

April 27, 2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

PA:
Thanks for visiting the blog and for your thoughtful well-written comments. I appreciate that you are one of the few folks who,though not being Catholic, is willing to read and comment on the many things we do have in common in Christ. For that I admire you and am grateful.

I envy your ability with words and wish I could communicate my thoughts with your words! Perhaps someday we can co-write a blog, kinda of like a theological version of Hannity and Colmes. :)

April 27, 2007 8:01 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Only if I can be Hannity! :)

April 27, 2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

That means you have to be the Catholic then!!!! LOL

April 27, 2007 10:43 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

You win this time, R.eally R.oman! Muuuaaahahahaaaaa!

Signed,

T.ruly R.eformed

April 27, 2007 11:45 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy Anniversary! I always enjoy reading your thought provoking posts =)

April 28, 2007 1:37 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Congrats!
I really enjoy your blog.
:)

April 28, 2007 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis