Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Punk Monks


The Franciscan Friars of the Renewal have a worship band. They were recently featured on WNBC NY. One of the founding members of the community, not shown on this clip, is Father Stan Fortuna, an internationally acclaimed jazz-fusion bassist who forsook all to follow the call. They minister in the most destitute areas of the Bronx, NY and Newark, NJ. I can attest to the fact that Newark is probably the worst after having spent four years in medical school there. Whoa~

These guys are the "real deal." I have had an opportunity to spend some time with them and I came away blessed and renewed. They do this thing at midnight called the "peanut butter run."
They make stacks of peanut-butter sandwiches and go out to the street people in the middle of the night to minister Christ's love to them. Pray for more vocations to groups like this. And, BTW, they make their living in the traditional way of St. Francis by begging, so if you want to send them a few quid, they wouldn't turn it down. Though they have a website, they don't have computers or internet access (Don't you love that?) and can be reached by snail mail or phone.

Here's a slideshow of a day in the life of a friar. 13th century faith in the 21st century!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lest anybody get the wrong idea, I don't think they play this kind of music at Mass.

And of course another founder of this community is that holy man of God, Fr. Benedict Groschel.

From what I see, communities like the CFRs, who live a radical Catholic Christian faith and are faithful to Holy Mother Church are not having problems attracting vocations. God bless 'em!

And oh yes, that slideshow was awesome!

June 09, 2007 10:16 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Yes Nancy, good points!
I too have heard that the religious communities that are growing are the ones that are eucharistic-centered orthodox in theology.

A diocesan priest who helped us back into the Church 3 years ago spent a novice year with the CFR and during that time we had opportunities to hang with the friars. They are radically in love with Jesus. Poverty, chastity and obedience.... What's not to love there?

June 09, 2007 11:24 AM  
Blogger MMajor Fan said...

I love them! While I've never seen them play, I enjoy their website, as you linked to for the slideshow. I recommend to readers their daily eletter at the same site:
http://www.franciscanfriars.com/fr.%20glenn%20letters/archive.htm
Their writings are very thoughtful and inspiring.

They minister to Christ's love in an amazing way. Donations can also be sent for their Honduras mission, where they are also doing vital work and ministry.

Newark is a test of courage alright. When I lived in the area I was called to jury duty there so often, people called it my "second job" har har.

Bless them all! Each friar is doing the work of twenty, I reckon.

June 09, 2007 10:03 PM  
Blogger WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

we have them in the UK now-Thank God-in London and York.
I would love my sons to have some time with them-to learn about life and pray for their vocation in life.
I pray at least one or two of my sons will join orders such as these.

June 11, 2007 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you don't like it anymore Tiber, but I still get a kick out of the "Monk song."

-Theo

June 11, 2007 3:40 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Pinyan said...

I went to a day of prayer with them back in April in Newark, NJ. Very spiritually fulfilling.

June 11, 2007 9:32 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

theo, I might rewrite the Monk Song. BTW, it has never been recorded despite being performed regularly since 1979. I might develop a "redeemed" version

June 12, 2007 12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to think the Monk Song is fun and funny as is. Still, I've no doubt that if you change it, it will still be a good song. Of course, if you ever *do* record it, I know a guy who already knows the harmony.


--Theo

June 12, 2007 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis