Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, June 04, 2007

Catholics and the Gospel


I have been reading On Being Catholic by Thomas Howard (Elizabeth Elliot's little brother.)
I just finished the chapter called Catholics and The Gospel. He beautifully describes how the gospel is at the core of the Mass and is tied into the very fabric of a Catholic's life from baptism onward. He ends the chapter with this:

"To be Catholic, then, is to live one's whole life "in" the gospel. A Savior who is Christ the Lord. This is my Body given for you. Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. He came down from heaven for us men and our salvation. Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. These phrases ring in the ears of Catholics. The Church teaches that it is faith that grasps these words of gospel, and that it is grace that enables us to live as gospel people, that is, as Christians; that is, as Catholics." (p.131)

This book and his other "If Your Mind Wanders at Mass " have given me such an appreciation and understanding of the Mass. One could go to Mass for a lifetime and never fully understand and appreciate all the mystery and grace that is there for us. Even the seraphim look down on us with envy because they can't participate in the body and blood of Christ that us mere mortals are privileged to take part in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis