Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Why I Need the Saints In My Life

Often Catholics are asked: why do you need saints when we have Jesus? I have blogged about this many times before and the simple answer is that we benefit from their intercession for us. God has provided members of His body to intercede for one another. Since we don't believe saints are dead, they can and do intercede for the other members of the body of Christ who have not yet crossed the veil.
But another reason for saints is to inspire us by their holy lives and heroic faith. When I read this prayer of St John Vianney, I hope and pray that God will grant me the grace to love Him in such a way as this:

"I love You, O my God, and my only desire is to love You until the last breath of my life. I love You, O my infinitely lovable God, and I would rather die loving You, than live without loving You. I love You, Lord and the only grace I ask is to love You eternally....My God, if my tongue cannot say in every moment that I love You, I want my heart to repeat it to You as often as I draw breath."

I have to honestly say that my heart doesn't always resonate with this prayer on a daily basis, but I do desire it to be so. Knowing that there are those who have gone before me that did indeed have a love for God like gives me hope that someday I too can attain a faith like this. This is yet another reason why I need the saints in my life.

St John Vianney, I ask you to pray for me today that I will love God more and more as you do.
In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Can you tell me what the Church's position is on the nature of the Saints? I understand what you have said regarding their continuing existence with Christ, that they are truly alive. And I certainly would agree. But how are they able to hear the prayers of, theoretically speaking, millions of people at the same time? Would this not be considered a quality that only God has? Have the Saints now become Divine? What is the Church's teaching on this?

June 17, 2008 7:22 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey PA!
Thanks for commenting. I answered your question in my next blog post above. Hope all is well with you and yours.

June 17, 2008 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis