Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

St Ignatius of Loyola

Today the Church celebrates the life of St. Ignatius of Loyola. He started out to be a soldier but a wound from a cannon ball changed the direction of his life. While he was convalescing, he had nothing to read and came upon some books about the lives of the saints. This lead to a long process of his conversion. He started the Society of Jesus 17 years after Luther nailed his thesis to the door of a Church in Wittenberg. St. Ignatius played an important part in the CounterReformation and put himself and his newly formed society(Jesuits) at the service of the papacy . He was a staunch opponent of Protestantism but opposed it with grace, not fury.

"
Great care must be taken to show forth orthodox truth in such a way that if any heretics happen to be present they may have an example of charity and Christian moderation. No hard words should be used nor any sort of contempt for their errors be shown."

Here's one of his prayers.

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding, and my entire will.
All I have and call my own.
Whatever I have or hold, you have given me.
I restore it all to you and surrender it wholly
to be governed by your will.
Give me only your love and grace
and I am rich enough and ask for nothing more.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis