Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Darwin's Black Box


Tonite, we are having Dr. Michael Behe, author of Darwin's Black Box and nationally recognized proponent of Intelligent Design speak to our Truth In Religion Group. He is a Catholic Christian and professor of Biochemistry at Lehigh University.
His name became a household word a few years ago when he was a star defense witness in the Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District, lawsuit in York County, PA. The judge ruled that: "it is unconstitutional to teach ID as an alternative to evolution in a public school science classroom."
As a biology major in college and medical student, I stubbornly held to the 6 day creation scenario because of my early fundamentalist-influenced reading of Scripture. As a Catholic Christian, I have found that good science never contradicts faith and faith will never go against good science. Faith and reason always go hand in hand. I no longer have to go into "denial mode" when I read about a new fossil discovery that dates to 10 million years old.
The Catechism states:

"Though faith is above reason, there can never be any real discrepancy between faith and reason. Since the same God who reveals mysteries and infuses faith has bestowed the light of reason on the human mind, God cannot deny himself, nor can truth ever contradict truth."37 "Consequently, methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are.


2 Comments:

Blogger ~Joseph the Worker said...

How was it? I read his book and it was excellent (although I read it when I was still an evangelical....)

October 27, 2008 1:04 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

It was great. He did a power- point and spoke for about an hour.
We had about 40 people including two evangelical pastors and a priest.
He is a nice guy, very humble and self effacing, despite his impressive credentials.

October 27, 2008 8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis