Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

How do Catholics spend New Year? I can't speak for all of them, but in our parish we are having Eucharistic Adoration from 10PM until Midnight. We sit quietly in the presence of the Almighty bringing Him our sadness and sorrows and joys of the past year and worshiping and praying with hope as the New Year is rung in. I will be bringing all my blogger friends before the Lord tonight, please do the same for Prodigal Daughter and myself. Then in the AM we return for Mass and celebrate the Solemnity of Mary, the mother of God, (Theotokos) as pronounced dogmatically by the Council of Ephesus in the early fifth century. A great way to start the year focusing on the things of Heaven.
God bless you.

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy itself.
(cf Divine Mercy Chaplet)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got back from the vigil Mass for the solemnity of Mary, Mother of God and am having dinner right now. We don't have adoration at our parish but there is a perpetual adoration chapel in a parish in town for which I've signed up for a couple of hours on the weekend. Even though it's not my regular scheduled time tomorrow, I was thinking of after Mass going down to spend some time with Jesus. Will keep you and PD in my prayers.

I know Salt & Light, the Catholic network here in Canada, is scheduled tonight to re-air the film Testimony, based on the book by Cardinal Dziwisz, so I'm going to get my munchies and settle down for some good viewing. To be honest, the secular shows really aren't that appealing. Hopefully I'll still be up to toast the new year at midnight (the older I get, staying awake until midnight is becoming more and more of an accomplishment).

Happy New Year to you and PD.

December 31, 2008 7:48 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Pinyan said...

Happy new year!

My brother the priest is coming out to Allentown (where we're all at) later this afternoon. He'll be saying Mass for us here (he does this on occasion, maybe once a year) since there's 2 (parents) + 8 (kids) + 3 (spouses) + 2 (grandkids) + 2 (grandkids) + 6 (grandkids) = 23 people here... and it would have been a trial to arrange all of us for Mass.

January 01, 2009 1:38 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey That sounds great. How convenient to have a priest for a brother~!

We went to Mass this AM at St Joseph's in Orefield where we now live. It was surprisingly full!
What a great way to start the New Year! God bless Jeff
e mail me and I will send you our new address and phone number.

January 01, 2009 1:58 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Happy New Year Russ! Thanks for your prayers :)

Blessings,
-g-

January 02, 2009 12:13 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

your welcome George.

January 02, 2009 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis