Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Catholics , Coffee and the Communion of Saints

(The french press alongside my favorite coffee mug)
( un-roasted coffee is green and smells yuccky)

What does coffee have to do with Catholics? Nothing really, just wanted to post pics of my latest little project. (I know, I know I should be working on the new CD instead of playing with coffee...)
About a year and a half ago I got into using a french press to make coffee. Basically it's a method of making/brewing the coffee by pouring near-boiling water over the freshly ground coffee, then pressing a screen down through the mixture of grounds and water. This separates the grounds from the liquid without filtering out the volatile oils which contribute to the taste of the coffee. They say that paper filters often trap these oils, and drip filter coffee doesn't compare to the french press-made coffee. (So the theory goes)

So after researching the french press, I found websites that claim that fresh-roasted coffee tastes better than anything and that you haven't lived until you have tasted coffee freshly-roasted then ground, then pressed through your french press! But where to get freshly-roasted coffee? Forget Starbucks, besides the fact that they support planned parenthood, their coffee is not freshly roasted.

But it turns out you can buy green un-roasted coffee on-line and roast it yourself. So I found a company, CoffeeBeanDirect in Stockton NJ and had 5 lbs of decaf and caffeinated beans sent to my doorstep in a few days. So tonight, I roasted a pan of green coffee beans on our grill outside, cooled the beans, ground them and made my first carafe of fresh dark-roasted, ground and french-pressed coffee. The taste was surprisingly good for a first-timer with almost a hint of sweetness to it. The only problem, is that after I had made it, I realized I accidentally opened the caffeinated stuff from Guatemala vs the decaf beans from Costa Rica! So now I will be up till 4 AM thinking about the way things might have been. If I can't sleep, I have my trusty rosary stashed under my pillow and have more than enough issues to ask Mary to intercede for me about.

I wonder if there is a Saint Caffeine? I have written about him in my song "One-Eyed Grandma"
Actually, I did get to thinking and wondered if there was a patron saint of caffeine. (After all, we believe in the Communion of Saints, Right?) I did some googlin' and turns out there is! St. Drogo, the patron of coffee shop owners. This fact alone may have made me convert a lot sooner had I known about him. Gotta' love this Church.


  • Click Here For some more Klassic Tiber Jumper "Katholic Koffee" Posts.
  • Finally, if you don't want to roast your own, try Mystic Monk Coffee and you'll be supporting a great cause. We had their coffee for Christmas as a special treat. Truly out of this world.

14 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

Can't wait to taste those yummy fresh beans in the morning!

May 11, 2009 9:57 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

My coffee never tastes as good as when you make it. You got the touch!

May 11, 2009 10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, I love french press coffee--has a delightful "full bodied" mouth feel. The only drawback is having to dump out the grounds and wash after each use--alot easier to use the filters.

You are brave to roast your own coffee, I get mine from the Salt Lake Roasting Company--they roast their beans to perfection! Only problem is it's forty miles away, so whenever someone tells me they are in Salt Lake, I beg for them to stop and get me some "Kenya" coffee.

And there's a saint for coffee--only in the Catholic Church--LOL, I'm stealing the picture for my blog :) Happy drinking!

May 11, 2009 10:22 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

Whoa, now here is a serious coffee man! That sounds really good though. Did you end up sleeping or counting and praying?

Blessings to you my friend! Perhaps someday we will have a cup-o-joe together.

-g-

May 12, 2009 7:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tara, yeah, it's a hassle to get the grounds out of the carafe for sure.
Maybe I'll try some Kenyan coffee sometime.You should Try the Mystic Monks. They can send it to you on a regular basis from Wyoming. The down side is it's a bit pricey but your supporting a great bunch of Catholics.
If you google images of st Drogo you'll get a clearer pic than the one on my blog. Take care

May 12, 2009 12:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

George, I slept a bit and prayed a bit. Not a bad nite.
Yes we'll have to do that coffee it I get out your way sometime .
Or if your in eastern PA, I'll fresh roast some!

May 12, 2009 12:28 PM  
Blogger George Weis said...

One of these days one of us will do that come or go... :)

You guys seem like such good folks. I would enjoy chatting with ya.

-g-

May 12, 2009 10:11 PM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

"This separates the grounds from the liquid without filtering out the volatile oils which contribute to the taste of the coffee. They say that paper filters often trap these oils..."

yes...I remember growing up in South Louisiana, and how I liked the oil that floated on top of my coffee. Eveyone made coffee with what was called a French drip coffeepot. I bet my modern Mr. Coffee brewer's paper filter is blocking/ absorbing the oil out of my coffee & chicory, thus it's not floating on top anymore.

May 14, 2009 8:14 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

kkollwitz: They do sell the gold filters that you can use in your coffee maker. It ends up being cheaper in the long run. Better for the environment too! Although I have to confess I bought ours at Walmart. :o

May 14, 2009 8:53 PM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

"They do sell the gold filters that you can use in your coffee maker."

What are these?

May 15, 2009 11:09 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

kkollwitz: Check out this link. :)
http://buyitnow64.stores.yahoo.net/comapegofifo.html

May 15, 2009 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Io kK:
Walmart

May 15, 2009 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from your link: - G. Hovah Java
The perfect unity and harmony of three distinct flavor personalities all in one bean. Mysteriously good!"


Shouldn;t that have been "three distinct flavor personalities all in one SUPREME bean"?

May 26, 2009 6:05 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey theo! Back on the Blogosphere!

May 26, 2009 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis