Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, January 22, 2010

St. Vincent: A Non-Bible Burning Catholic

Today the Universal Church remembers St. Vincent who St. Augustine preached about. Saint Vincent was a deacon in the Church in the early 4th century during one of the Roman persecutions.
He was imprisoned for his faith and tortured. The governor offered to set him free if he was willing to burn his "sacred books." This was 303 AD, so obviously the Bible as we know it was not yet collected into its present number and canonized. Yet, some of these "sacred books" of Saint Vincent's were no doubt books of sacred scripture and he chose death rather than allow the written Word of God be destroyed.

Next time you are told that Catholics burned bibles in the medieval ages to prevent the common folk from learning about faith, tell'm about Saint Vincent!
Check out my post on Catholic Bible Burners.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis