Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Morning Mass and Catholic Quiche



Today our good friend Fr. Bernard Ezaki celebrated the sacrament of the altar (Mass) in our little makeshift living room chapel. We invited two other couples over and it was a very special blessing. We started the morning by praying Morning Prayer in the Liturgy of the Hours, and followed that by the Mass.
We then broke our fast with a hearty breakfast


that included Prodigal Daughter's special Sacred Heart of Jesus Quiche, fresh Haitian coffee and banana bread. Food for the soul, then the body.

I have known Fr. Ezaki since 1976 . He was in my New Testament Greek class and we became fast friends . I was amazed at what a faithful Christian he was.... despite his Catholicism. He never complained or was bitter regarding his congenital near-blindness and God used this thorn in his flesh in mighty ways to make him a very godly man.

After college, he went to Harvard Divinity school and later seminary and became a diocesan priest in the Allentown diocese where he still serves. After my first wife died, his phone call three days later planted a seed in my heart that took ten years to finally germinate in my return to the Church. When my new wife became interested in Catholicism back in 2000, he was the priest she first turned to. Five years later, we returned to the Church. Now he's celebrating Mass in my living room.

Boy, life is a full circle.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen said...

Lovely story.

February 14, 2010 9:44 AM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

"I was amazed at what a faithful Christian he was.... despite his Catholicism."

Yikes! Catholics!

February 15, 2010 6:23 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholics said...

It most certainly is, as I can attest! Sacred Heart of Jesus quiche! My new favorite breakfast! :D

March 14, 2010 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis