Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bible Reading Catholics

 When I was a protestant, I was often told that Catholics don't read the bible. Given the fact that I grew up without a bible in the house in a nominal Catholic family, I couldn't disagree. But find out the TRUTH about Catholics and the Bible on this post below in the Called to Communion Blog.
Tom Riello, reformed evangelical convert to the Catholic faith writes an excellent post here regarding Catholics and the reading of the Bible. Check it out here.

  “Our one desire for all the Church’s children is that, being saturated with the Bible, they may arrive at the all surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ” (Spiritus Paraclitus #69)  Pope Benedict 
 XV (1920)

Tom Riello: "I want to stress that becoming Catholic is not only about what you are giving up. Becoming Catholic is also about what you are gaining. This leads to my second point about Bible reading. I can say that becoming Catholic has enriched my reading of the Bible, not lessened it — renewed it, and not stunted it." 

3 Comments:

Blogger kkollwitz said...

It is something of a pleasant surprise to discover that the Catholic template fits the Bible very well.

May 11, 2012 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matthew 24:35 - "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."

Hebrews 13:9 - "Be not carried about with divers[e] and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them that have been occupied therein."

"2 Corinthians 3:5-6 - "Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think anything as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life."

August 04, 2012 7:38 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

The pillar and foundation of Truth is the Church... (1 tim 3:15)

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it, and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus" (2 Tim. 3:14–15).

"stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter" (2 Thess. 2:15).

August 04, 2012 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis