Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Can't Judge a Religion By Those Who Don't Practice It

I saw a headline on internet news about an archbishop-elect who was pulled over for the suspicion of drunk-driving. My evangelical friends, no doubt, will be e-mailing me a link to this story shortly. Am I going to stop being Catholic because of an archbishop with an alcohol problem? That would be like rejecting Christ and his apostles because of Judas and Peter who both denied Christ.

I believe in the Catholic Church and will never leave her (again) because I know this is the Church Christ started and promised the gates of hell would never prevail over. His promise is not made null and void by the bad Catholics through the centuries who didn't practice the faith.

Every religion is made up of those who don't live up to its standards. Ours just makes the front page more often.

See Mark Shea's excellent article on why he remains in the "Corrupt Church."

3 Comments:

Blogger George @ Convert Journal said...

The archbishop in question is a very good shepherd who made a foolish but serious mistake. He drank more than the legal limit at dinner and drove afterward, endangering himself and others. He blames no one but himself, has apologized and taken full responsibility.

There is no reason to believe that he has an alcohol problem other than poor judgment shown that one night. Also one correction - he was not pulled over (which suggests greater impairment) but rather stopped with all passing traffic at a DUI checkpoint.

As a fellow sinner, I would argue that we SHOULD be judged by what we do when we fall. If we exclude those Catholics who make mistakes, there wouldn't be anyone left!

Jesus heard this and said to them [that], "Those who are well do not need physician, but the sick do. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners." (Mark 2:17)

August 28, 2012 4:48 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Excellent points George, thanks!

August 28, 2012 7:36 PM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

It's remarkable that not even The Scandal has kept converts out of the Church.

September 02, 2012 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis