Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Sacred Heart Leads to Protestant's Conversion


Ryan tells the story of how the Sacred Heart of Jesus brought him healing. He explains how he had been deeply involved in the Sovereign Grace Ministries, a Calvinist group, and eventually became Catholic, as a result of his exposure to the Sacred Heart. Read his story here.

"These doctrines (calvinism) and the feelings they engendered were not without consequences, both in my life and the lives of my close friends in SGM. Despite the fact that we ostensibly believed in “grace”, we had an obsessive and unhealthy fear over our sins: we used to sit in circles in “accountability groups” and confess to each other, in graphic detail, every sin we could recall. We also confronted each other with sins we perceived in that person’s life,  and a guy unwilling to see how he was sinning (according to his brothers in the Lord) was quickly labelled as “prideful”. The fact is, though, that despite the unhealthy vigilance, nothing seemed to work: we kept right on sinning just as badly as before."


“To whom can I turn if not to You, Whose Heart is the source of all graces and merits? Where should I seek if not in the treasure which contains all the riches of Your kindness and mercy? Where should I knock if not at the door through which God gives Himself to us and through which we go to God? I have recourse to You, Heart of Jesus. In You I find consolation when afflicted, protection when persecuted, strength when burdened with trials, and light in doubt and darkness.”  (Novena to the Sacred Heart)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis